Sign in to follow this  
jimbo01

Ordered some german plates

Well rather than spend $799 on some kiwi Euro plates, I followed the suggestion to get some plates made in Germany for the current rego. All up US $88 which is way better than getting the current plates done as a Euro here in NZ!

Me too.

post-1370-1187732232.jpg

One for my merc, one for my daily.

I couldn't stand seeing the german plates with the text off centred, so I got mine centred to the plate.

Ordered 3 days ago.

Me too.

post-1370-1187732232.jpg

One for my merc, one for my daily.

I couldn't stand seeing the german plates with the text off centred, so I got mine centred to the plate.

Ordered 3 days ago.

Mine is YK8740, and as it's on a 740 it seems like it's a personalised plate but its just a conincidence. However I've got them done so it's YK8 740, this may drive people nuts trying to figure our what YK8 means. I know I try and figure out personaised plates when I see them

post-1569-1188083714_thumb.jpg

Edited by jimbo

Mine is YK8740, and as it's on a 740 it seems like it's a personalised plate but its just a conincidence. However I've got them done so it's YK8 740, this may drive people nuts trying to figure our what YK8 means. I know I try and figure out personaised plates when I see them

Year 8000 would be my one and only guess before you blitz me at the lights.

Might work if your name was Kate.

Or what about "work it" 740?

Got mine today, took some pics of em' on the merc;

post-1370-1188342424.jpgpost-1370-1188342477.jpg

Got mine today, took some pics of em' on the merc;

Nice -

How long did they take to arrive?

Are they good quality?

Nice -

How long did they take to arrive?

Are they good quality?

9 days from order.

Good quality, except he should package the plates in a way that the front of each plate can't rub against metal.

Otherwise, I'm unsure what to do with all the stickers he gave me!?

Well rather than spend $799 on some kiwi Euro plates, I followed the suggestion to get some plates made in Germany for the current rego. All up US $88 which is way better than getting the current plates done as a Euro here in NZ!

What was the website etc??

and they're legal with the Kiwi Police/LTSA/Gummint?

You guys using the mountin brackets they sell or sticking them directly to your cars?

Edited by madandy

Nope...not legal.... but most peops on here will tell you they've never been pulled up.

I used the mounting frame on the back plate cos I didn't want to drill more holes into my boot lid (jap bracket holes were in the middle of the plate) and using tape didn't appeal either.

Got mine today, took about 9 days but included the long weekend.

The mounting frames are very easy to use and well worth the extra coin. Lined up with the existing rear screw holes and went straight on.

Re the legality, I asked around some and the law only specifies that rego plates must be of a certain size with lettering in an approved font. So it's probably a different font and so not legal but I can't see that the font is that much different to the genuine euro plates so can't see it being a big problem.

Got mine today, took about 9 days but included the long weekend.

The mounting frames are very easy to use and well worth the extra coin. Lined up with the existing rear screw holes and went straight on.

Re the legality, I asked around some and the law only specifies that rego plates must be of a certain size with lettering in an approved font. So it's probably a different font and so not legal but I can't see that the font is that much different to the genuine euro plates so can't see it being a big problem.

the plates must also be made by either the LTSA or personalised plates for them to be legal, all others are illegal.

the plates must also be made by either the LTSA or personalised plates for them to be legal, all others are illegal.

That's exactly what the girl at LTSA told me, but then she refered me to s.14 of the Transport (Vehicle and Driver Registration and Licensing) Act 1986.

14 Form of registration plates and licences

(1) The Minister may from time to time, by notice in the Gazette,—

(a) Prescribe the form and colour of registration plates and licences, the size, shape, and character of the letters, numbers, or distinguishing marks to be shown on them, and the means to be adopted to make the plates and licences easily visible:

(B) Prescribe the number of registration plates to be displayed and the position or positions in which registration plates and licences are to be displayed.

(2) The Minister may, under subsection (1) of this section, prescribe specific types of or distinguishing marks for registration plates and licences to be issued for use on vehicles operated or regularly used by persons holding specified offices or persons, governments, or organisations having specified status, immunities, or privileges, and specific types of or distinguishing marks for plates and licences to be issued for use on vehicles of specified classes.

(3) The Minister may from time to time, by notice in the Gazette, prescribe various fees payable in respect of the issue of registration plates and licences to cover the cost of production and issue of the plates and licences; and may if the costs so warrant it, prescribe higher fees in respect of the production and issue of personalised registration plates.

Nowhere does the act mention anything about where they have to be manufactured or issued by, just the stuff in subsection (1) paragraph (a), ie size, shape, font and visbility. I went through the ltsa website trying to find any stuff on it but couldn't find where the girl had got her info from.

But at the end of the day, still sure they wouldn't be legal, but would you get a ticket for having them on your car - probably not, but you do run the risk

For anyone that gives a damn. Got a wof from VTNZ with these plates on today.

For anyone that gives a damn. Got a wof from VTNZ with these plates on today.

Yeah same, got one a couple of months ago.

They must not be educated about illegal and non-LTSA or 'personalised plates'. Surely they will catch on to it soon?

Fine with me though ;)

Plates are not a warrant issue, they couldn't care less what plates you have on when you take it for a warrant. They are only looking at issues that affect safety.

Now Mr Plod on the other hand....

Will

so all you guys are basically getting copies of existing plates???If you wanted a new personalised plate could you say check with plates .co.nz,get it made in germany then just front up to a rego centre with your plates....or would you be charged for new plates anyway??????

so all you guys are basically getting copies of existing plates???If you wanted a new personalised plate could you say check with plates .co.nz,get it made in germany then just front up to a rego centre with your plates....or would you be charged for new plates anyway??????

Hey Paul,

I have had all of our nz plates made up into nz euro replica plates (from Germany) and our standard issue plate made into a replica nz euro black plates, and for the time that i have had my euro german plate, currently on the race car (no nz flag, E.U Stars with D for Deuchland) about 7 years, not once have i had any trouble from police etc, and in my area the fakes from Germany are everywhere, all on Cayennes, AMG's etc....who cares about problem.

You cant see if a plate is available and just order it to be made in germany, you must purchase that plate from plates.co.nz then you can......

you can buy a personalised plate and have it made as a euro nz plate in nz

or have your standard issue nz plate turned into a nz euro plate in nz

or buy your replica plates from germany and have them made into your current standard plates or current personalised plates for a fraction of the price!

Edited by beemn

Hey Paul,

I have had all of our nz plates made up into nz euro replica plates (from Germany) and our standard issue plate made into a replica nz euro black plates, and for the time that i have had my euro german plate, currently on the race car (no nz flag, E.U Stars with D for Deuchland) about 7 years, not once have i had any trouble from police etc, and in my area the fakes from Germany are everywhere, all on Cayennes, AMG's etc....who cares about problem.

You cant see if a plate is available and just order it to be made in germany, you must purchase that plate from plates.co.nz then you can......

you can buy a personalised plate and have it made as a euro nz plate in nz

or have your standard issue nz plate turned into a nz euro plate in nz

or buy your replica plates from germany and have them made into your current standard plates or current personalised plates for a fraction of the price!

thanks..that just about covers it doesnt it!

http://www.germanplates.com/ is the place i think.

these plates are probably illegal,but at the moment no one seems to care,as the proper administration is still being contolled by plates .co .nz.n post etc .The yellow plates would be no more illegal than the others,but they will be a hell of a lot more obvious!

i got a quote for a the euro plate not personalized for 400 at 0800 plates ..thats abit steep sincing you can get a normal personilzed for round there ..

euro plates are a great look i think

anyone bought any off germanplates.com if so how much for the lot plus shipping?