Sign in to follow this  
Heresharry

How many English/British people on here??

Just off topic and curious-

How many Pommes and where from??

Im English born and bred in Warrington, Cheshire. Been here 3 years now (my wife is a kiwi) and im just moving up this week to Northcote from Hamilton!

Been here 2.5 years now, originally from Birkenhead, Merseyside, but was living in the Midlands for the last 15years. Moving out here wish we'd do it years ago, I'm in Glenfield so you'll be just round the corner

Born in the UK (Essex) got the passport and ran ha. Been in NZ since i was one so basically a kiwi

Guest Simon*

Jesus confession time!

Born in Luton to a dodgy Otago Phys Ed graduate and his new wife on their OE! Got the passport and an English godfather but I haven't been back since I was 1

Will always identify as a kiwi (unless Labour get in again)

^^^^ Holy sh1t, Jesus was born in Luton !!!!

I was born in Hitchin in Herftfordshire. Came here originally in 86 when I was 15, went back to London for six years in 98 and been back since 2004. Wife was born in NZ to Dutch parents but she considers here at home.

Not sure how I identify myself to be honest. Ive always felt more at home in England, certainly more anonymous.

The kiwis always give me grief for being English whereas the English have a laugh about sheep for ten mins and then forget about it.

How many Pommes and where from??

Im English born and bred in Warrington, Cheshire. Been here 3 years now (my wife is a kiwi) and im just moving up this week to Northcote from Hamilton!

Not far from where I used to live. Born in Ipswich, lived near Colchester, then moved to Knutsford (near Altrincham/Manchester), then moved to Auckland in 1991. Been back a couple of times since, and will be again next year.

Gutted we lost the cricket overnight, so guess I'm not much of a pom anymore...

I have found it funny how much Kiwis bitch about Poms....for no real reason! Agree with the poms sheep jokes and getting over it!

family background is English, I was born in S.A and was in NZ from about 1

Been to the UK a few times, lived here for 6 months after 7th form and am back here since last July - no plans to head back just yet

Pom confession time.

Born in midlands (stoke). Moved to Devon when 10. Moved to London when 20.

Took a year in oz when 25 went back to UK and decided to get out as soon as possible again. Took another 5 years to leave (inertia). Been in NZ for the last three years. No plans to go back.

Miss the beer though.

Cheers

born here to english mother(war bride) and kiwi father...we were bought up as little englishmen i suppose...

Dad had been injured and a v1 had landed in mums back yard so they thought NZ was safer i guess!

The wife's a Pom, born in Stoke. Lived here since she was 5. But still won't relinquish her passport.

Born in Chatham, Kent. Lived in Medway Towns for 35 years, then moved to NZ three and a half years ago. Loving it here so far, and no plans to go back to UK for a long, long time.

I am still a Pom, and won't ever lose the accent. Try really hard not to come across as a 'Little Englander' and quite enjoy being called a Pom.

Daughter thinks she's a Kiwi, even though she lived in England for the first 2 and a half years, son is a Kiwi, but sounds like a Pom at the moment, will all change when he reaches kindy.

As the sig shows, Im a Pom and dont mind the name, been here with my missus and 3 kids since 1994, born and dragged up on a council estate in Reading until i married and decided to get the hell out of there for my kids sake.

I consider NZ my home and thankfully so do my kids who are all grown up now.

The only thing i miss is football,, the firm i work for are sending me back to the UK in October for 3 weeks for new product training and i'm taking the missus and my youngest son who was 18mths when we came to NZ as we've never been back, just my luck that after all the years of following Reading FC around to places like Bury and Darlington i thought great i can catch a premier league game, then they go and get relegated. Story of my life.

In all things sport i follow NZ except for the football, and just love it when i can wind up the rellies in the UK, when England lose to NZ at anything. But the trouble is i still get sh*t from kiwis, so i cant win.

Are you fellas interested in getting (or already know) how to get the football from the UK ?

I download Match of the Day each week and you can get a huge amount of the games via other sources. PM me if your interested.

Not just the premiership stuff either, you can get the Championship stuff too.

Born Redcliff Oxford lived in Yorkshire, Darlington Richmond Castle Area. My father was head herds man on a dairy farm and shifted us all to NZ in the early 60's mainly for us kids sake and a chance at a better life he said. Started in Dunedin, educated and started work their them moved up to the North Island. Was the ripe age of seven when I left England and have not been back.

Just out of interest how many of you know what Pome stands for?

Cheers Allan

Its also French for apple and the brits were well known to carry tonnes of them on their boats to battle scurvy

Are you fellas interested in getting (or already know) how to get the football from the UK ?

I download Match of the Day each week and you can get a huge amount of the games via other sources. PM me if your interested.

Not just the premiership stuff either, you can get the Championship stuff too.

I refused to have sky sports in the UK as every time you turned it on there was footie from South America, Italy or Spain aswell as the UK stuff. No disrespect intended just too many poncy actors playing the game these days, unlike when I was a kid and Peter Read and Ian Rush took pleasure in beating a player by taking the ball round them rather than attempting it and diving!!!

Rugby League all the way mate I'm in heavan at the moment with the NRL Friday, Saturday, Sunday & Monday

That'd be Prisoner of Mother England.

The most widely believed, but unfortunately incorrect version. Possibly intended to be the most offensive?

Passengers on prison ships did not have uniforms, let alone uniforms with P.o.M.E. initialled on them.

The use of the term Pom was widespread and docuemented before the first use of convicts as labour to develop the growing country.

Wikipedia and other sources quote the term to come from Pomegranate, the fruit, because after a couple of days that was the colour of the new immigrants faces from the sun!

Also a link to rhyming slang, Pom = Tom, Tom = Tommy, Tommy = Tommy Grant, Tommy Grant = Immigrant, a bit long winded but often how phrases develop over time.

As I said I don't mind it, been called much worse in 'My own'country! Even looking to get 'Jon The Pom' on the side of the race car.

No disrespect intended just too many poncy actors playing the game these days, unlike when I was a kid and Peter Read and Ian Rush took pleasure in beating a player by taking the ball round them rather than attempting it and diving!!!

Ian Rush beat a player and not dive?? Are you sure? You might have a different view from the Kop than that poxy away terrace there used to be at Anfield.

Agree with the sentiment, I tape and watch a lot of the Premiership stuff, not because I follow a Premier team, but because I miss the football so much, and I hardly recognise half the players, let alone be able to pronounce their names.

Looking forward to Stoke, West Brom & Hull in the Premier next year, should mix it up a bit.

Guest Simon*

Briefly heard on the radio this morning re Chelsea and their unfortunate loss in Moscow ;)

Russian Police have arrested Chelsea's goalie and given him death by firing squad.

Unfortunately John Terry is taking the shot

UK Police reported that burglars broke into Chelsea FC HQ. When asked if any Cups were stolen, the chief replied

"No ..... they didn't make it to the kitchen"

Heard others too, can't quite recall

My 2pence worth on the pom thing, from an old fart. The original term pom was actually spelt POHM and stood for Prisoner of Her/His Majesty but over time as the H was silent it got dropped and forgotten.

Nice one on the Chelski comments lol.

How many English/British people on here??

= too many.

Bit rough! <_<