Sign in to follow this  
Yuen

E39 540i 6 Speed

Have you had a prepurchase done to check it out or anyone looked it over?

rvt fron this site looked at it for me and i have agreed with the seller that my trademe bid is subject to a test drive and satisfactory prepurchase inspection.

Which it is anyway Paul. Even though trademe rules state 'you win you pay, blah blah blah' the rules of an auction still allow you to get there and not complete the deal on the basis that its not as advertised.

When are you planning on going down with your pocket full of reddies :ph34r:

Which it is anyway Paul. Even though trademe rules state 'you win you pay, blah blah blah' the rules of an auction still allow you to get there and not complete the deal on the basis that its not as advertised.

When are you planning on going down with your pocket full of reddies :ph34r:

quite right mate.I rang him and told him that was the condtions of my bid.He accepted.I will be on the first plane i can after he rings me and i clear it with the boss(not her indoors!)Can you say ROAD TRIP!

Hey Paul, latest TBMW mag just arrived and they have a good buyers guide/faults for the E39 V8 cars.Shall i scan & post later or do you want to look at buying the mag from your local bookstore?

Total BMW July issue, also has a fantastic rundown on the E34,' Defining Moment', covers, 3.6 M5/3.8 M5/ 535i sport/540i/525i sport/ M5 Touring. (sorry for the change of thread, thought worth mentioning here)

Edited by mr E34

Hey Paul, latest TBMW mag just arrived and they have a good buyers guide/faults for the E39 V8 cars.Shall i scan & post later or do you want to look at buying the mag from your local bookstore?

scan and post,probably of interest to everybody!

You looking for a co-pilot ?

could be but i would prolly make it a two or three day affair,ie invercargill queenstown then those awesome roads around tekapo,then maybe back over the haast,up the coast back over to chch, etc etc ,almost a circumnavigation including figure eights of the south island(snow permitting).I could maybe pick you up in chch for the second half?

could be but i would prolly make it a two or three day affair,ie invercargill queenstown then those awesome roads around tekapo,then maybe back over the haast,up the coast back over to chch, etc etc ,almost a circumnavigation including figure eights of the south island(snow permitting).I could maybe pick you up in chch for the second half?

Let me sow a seed ;)

Total BMW July issue, also has a fantastic rundown on the E34,' Defining Moment', covers, 3.6 M5/3.8 M5/ 535i sport/540i/525i sport/ M5 Touring. (sorry for the change of thread, thought worth mentioning here)

yes please.

e34 history

yes please.

e34 history

Did the E39 article tonight Brent, will do the E34 later. ( takes a while :wacko: )

The E34 was definitely a landmark car for BMW in the late 80's.(and probably the E32)

BTW, Claus Luthe who penned E30,E31,E32,E34, died in March this year.

Can you say ROAD TRIP!

I still get a grin when I remember my road trip with the 328 to Invercargill from Wellington.

So many options...

Invercargill - Queenstown

Queenstown - Lindis Pass - Geraldine via Burkes Pass

Geraldine (state highway 72) to Arthurs Pass - Blenhiem

If that didn't put a grin on your dial - not sure what would!

I still get a grin when I remember my road trip with the 328 to Invercargill from Wellington.

So many options...

Invercargill - Queenstown

Queenstown - Lindis Pass - Geraldine via Burkes Pass

Geraldine (state highway 72) to Arthurs Pass - Blenhiem

If that didn't put a grin on your dial - not sure what would!

too many awesome roads down there...have nt yet figured out how i will get them all in!

too many awesome roads down there...have nt yet figured out how i will get them all in!

I tried but u need to colour in the whole map :)

post-1717-1214532301_thumb.jpg

Edited by mackt

Definitely do the grey route. I'd continue on through to blenheim tho. Although arthurs pass is an amazing drive. As said, so many options.

Game ON,he has rung me back,organising pre purchase inspection at Southland Motor Group.....

Game ON,he has rung me back,organising pre purchase inspection at Southland Motor Group.....

you have the patience of a saint - at least it's given you a chance to save some petrol money!

you have the patience of a saint - at least it's given you a chance to save some petrol money!

yes but compared to the plane trip and the ferry trip petrol is still gonna be cheaper!

Urgent update required Paul, quietly laughing to himself.

after a lot of effort on my part(and his),two trips to Southland Motor Group(the car not me!),many,many phone calls,I canned it.It may be back on the market soon,or he may keep it.

after a lot of effort on my part(and his),two trips to Southland Motor Group(the car not me!),many,many phone calls,I canned it.It may be back on the market soon,or he may keep it.

So what was wrong with the car that you didn't go ahead with the purchase?

So what was wrong with the car that you didn't go ahead with the purchase?

most prospective V8 E39(or m62 engined cars) purchasers will be aware of the problems these cars can have.It was on 170 000 ks so it was/ is possibly at the start of a series of replacements,it was not the tidiest car,and it had some fault codes ,and an misfire at idle that SMG could not diagnose.I still think it could be a very good buy but i didnt want to buy a car that could have been initially very very expensive,(but still relatively well worn)I would rather find one that i may have to spend the same money on (but over a more planned/longer) period and have an very tidy interior.I must stress the current owner has been very very helpful and upfront throught out the whole thing.He told me about the "uneven idle" at an early stage,and offered a lower price.

But in the end it just has to 'feel' right, and this one didnt :(

Shame because with a little looking after these cars are awesome.

Sorry to hear that Paul. Good to see you're not rushing into things. All the best finding another.