Sign in to follow this  
central3

E46 remote locking

Still battling with my remote locking. I had Geoff Grey check it out and they have confirmed a dud reciever in the interior mirror. I have been querying trademe parts adverts and also the North Island wreckers but no joy. I'm after a mirror that has the 315hz radio frequency system rather than the infra red. My part number is 51 03 16 7 065 486. Any help would be appreciated.

• Like 1

Still battling with my remote locking. I had Geoff Grey check it out and they have confirmed a dud reciever in the interior mirror. I have been querying trademe parts adverts and also the North Island wreckers but no joy. I'm after a mirror that has the 315hz radio frequency system rather than the infra red. My part number is 51 03 16 7 065 486. Any help would be appreciated.

There is no "mirror" with 315 MHz radio system. (MHz, not hz)

You cannot change from infrared to RF as easy as that

The early Jap cars have infrared (IR) remote control, where the receiver is the clown nose on the mirror

The RF remote controls (315MHz for (late model)Japan/USA or 433 MHz for Europe/Aus/NZ) use the antenna amplifier in the rear window to receive the RF signal and send it to the General Module

Differences between RF and IR are:

1. Keys!

2. Ignition lock and charging coil (RF uses rechargable battery, IR is button battery)

3. Receiver (mirror vs rear window)

4. General Module software, and maybe hardware

5. Vehicle wiring loom

6. SA Option Codes for the car

I don't even know if you CAN change from one to the other.

But if you wanted to, it's a big exercise.

You'd have to source a full set of brand new keys to fit your locks and then get them coded to the immobiliser. BMW will get confused because you'd be ordering RF keys for a car made with IR remote.

You'd have to change all the parts.

And then try and program it all.

I STRONGLY recommend you leave everything AS IS

The Jap mirrors cannot be that hard to find, make sure you get the right type - because the NZ with alarm looks the same as Jap with IR sensor - but they are different. And then you have the auto-dimming vs non-auto-dimming option as well......

PS: know the trick to test the IR transmitter in the keys?

Use a standard digital camera, point the key at it and press the key button.

The camera image sensor can pick up infrared, so you'll see the infrared LED flicker on the monitor of the digital camera :-)

PS: know the trick to test the IR transmitter in the keys?

Use a standard digital camera, point the key at it and press the key button.

The camera image sensor can pick up infrared, so you'll see the infrared LED flicker on the monitor of the digital camera :-)

Cool trick

Must try

Thanks for that - I must have worded this badly - I don't want to convert my system - I have the diamond shaped key (which I'm told is for an RF system) - the battery is rechargable - Jeff Gray told me that they had confirmed it was a mirror fault by swapping mine with a mirror ex another jap import - it worked fine (they say) - I have spent over $700 trying to solve this problem

Thanks for that - I must have worded this badly - I don't want to convert my system - I have the diamond shaped key (which I'm told is for an RF system) - the battery is rechargable - Jeff Gray told me that they had confirmed it was a mirror fault by swapping mine with a mirror ex another jap import - it worked fine (they say) - I have spent over $700 trying to solve this problem

TO QUOTE BMW:

Radio remote control.

The radio remote control is functionally integrated in the general module of the ZKE. The aerial integrated in the rear window on the E46 Saloon, Touring, Coupé and E83 X3 is used as the aerial for this purpose. On the E46 Convertible E52 Z8 and E85 Z4, the aerial is fitted in the inside mirror.

The radio signals are isolated in an aerial stop filter. The stop filter transmits the signals from the key transmitter via a data link to the general module.

All radio telegrams are coded and feature a constantly changing code so as to prevent manipulation and thus unauthorized opening of the vehicle.

Country-specific versions

General

Due to the different approval regulations for radio equipment in various countries, two different versions of the transmitter and stop filter are used.

433.92 MHz version

For all European countries (EUR version)

315 MHz version

Mainly intended for USA, Canada and Australia

UNQUOTE

And further on...

Receiver

Reception of radio signals on the E46 Saloon, Touring and Coupé

The data sent by the key transmitter are received by the receiver module via a radio-TV aerial. An aerial stop filter (rejecter circuit) isolates these radio waves from other received radio waves and transmits them via a line to the general module.

Reception of radio signal on the E46 Convertible, E52 Z8 and E85 Z4

The receiver is accommodated together with the aerial in the interior rear-view mirror. The receiver transfers received radio signals via the FZV line to the central body electronics control module where they are evaluated.

UNQUOTE

Can you please confirm if you have a Sedan, Coupe, Touring or Convertible.

(If you say the mirror is the problem, you must have a convertible.)

Disclaimer: not all country variants are described in the documentation that I have :-)

Edited by jochen

Is this the module you're talking about Jochen? Behind the passenger C pillar?

post-674-1226335015_thumb.jpg

Central3, pull the C pillar cover off, see if its there.

Jochen, if the rear window is broken does the signal still get through?

Is this the module you're talking about Jochen? Behind the passenger C pillar?

post-674-1226335015_thumb.jpg

Central3, pull the C pillar cover off, see if its there.

Jochen, if the rear window is broken does the signal still get through?

Yes, that's the antenna amplifier, and your picture is the Euro/NZ variant with the 433MHz radio remote control.

As for whether the signal gets through with a broken window: that all depends on whether the antenna elements as used by the remote control have broken or not, and if they have broken, where they broke....

Wow - thanks for that - problem is I have a sedan!! and my BMW dealer went to quite a bit of trouble sourcing a jap import mirror with which they confirmed a mirror fault - mind you these are the same guys who told me I had a key fault - I spent $430 buying another key with no result - where do you suggest I go from here? The reference to the antenna amplier is interesting - I installed an Alpine stereo head unit into the car as the jap unit was unsuitable for NZ - I have since put the original head unit back in but the cemtral locking did not work.

Wow - thanks for that - problem is I have a sedan!! and my BMW dealer went to quite a bit of trouble sourcing a jap import mirror with which they confirmed a mirror fault - mind you these are the same guys who told me I had a key fault - I spent $430 buying another key with no result - where do you suggest I go from here? The reference to the antenna amplier is interesting - I installed an Alpine stereo head unit into the car as the jap unit was unsuitable for NZ - I have since put the original head unit back in but the cemtral locking did not work.

If you have a 2003 E46, then the radio can be reprogrammed from Jap to NZ mode using your fingers. Very easy. No tools required.

If it is a sedan, and has an RF-Remote, then the rearview mirror has nothing to do with the central locking. Confirm by taking a photo of the antenna amplifier!

Thanks again Jochen. I have attached a photo of the antenna amplifier unit. It certainly looks different to the one photographed by "Westie" (tahnks for that Westie) . The main pyshical difference being that mine has one less plug in wiring connection. There is no sign fo any MHz number on the lable.

I have also attached a photo of my ignition key. It is the rechargable type as mentioned in your posting dated Nov 8. My delaer also assures me that it is an RF key.

Attached also is a photo of my interior mirror - it has the clown nose you also mentioned.

Attached is a photo of my car, its a 2003 facelift 330i motorsport.

Based on your information I am wondering whether the car is some sort of transition model.

My chassis number is WBAET56070NH46384

Any further advise would be appreciated.

post-3258-1226947144_thumb.jpg

post-3258-1226947205_thumb.jpg

post-3258-1226947238_thumb.jpg

post-3258-1226947267_thumb.jpg

Edited by central3

Yours is the later model new generation radio module (one aerial cable).

Mine is an old gen (2000 328) radio module (two aerial cables).

Both the keys and the mirror are outwardly identical though.

Have seen keys that resemble E36 keys for E46 cars. Hybrids car/keys are an example.

So your car is a P E46 Lim 330i M54 ECE 20030400 R N

Built April 2003

Your antenna amplifier is part 6906073, manufacturered March 2003. the build date conincides with your vehicle build date, therefore implying it is the original amplifier.

According to the BMW parts database:

6906073 = antenna amplifier, without radio remote control

6906074 = antenna amplifier, with 433 MHz radio remote control

6906075 = antenna amplifier, with 315 MHz radio remote control

Therefore your antenna amp is not a radio remote control receiver

Suspicions are building about your car. I wonder if someone supplied a replacement RF-key for a car with the infrared remote? If they cut it the same.... it would work mechanically... and maybe it had the same type of immobiliser chip inside.

Try and answer these questions:

1. Show me a photo of all yourr keys. The car was delivered with 4 x keys (2 x master, 1 x valet, 1 x emergency). Do you still have all 4? Are the two masters the same type?

2. See if there is a part number stamped on your key and tell me what it is.

3. Look at the key for an infrared LED. I cannot see one, but you didn't show all the key.

4. Get the GM and SA codes for the car, and get the dealer to print the option list for your car.

5. Get a friend with an infrared key and try and sync his key to your car (easy to do, no tools required) Does his key work?

6. Use my NavCoder software to determine what key number your key is. This will show whether it is an original or a replacement key (originals were keys 1,2,3 & 4)

7. Does your E46 have the alarm fitted? Clown nose were only fitted to be either infrared receiver or the alarm LED (or both). Parts list does not show a mirror+radio-remote option for the mirror.

I think your car uses an infrared remote.

Mine is an old gen (2000 328) radio module (two aerial cables).

Minor correction for your edumacation :-) :

There is only one antenna cable (the thick coax)

The thin coax is for the diversity control signal, going from the radio back to the antenna amplifier, to tell the amplfier which one of the 2 or 3 antennas (depending on car) to use.

Edited by jochen

Minor correction for your edumacation :-) :

There is only one antenna cable (the thick coax)

The thin coax is for the diversity control signal, going from the radio back to the antenna amplifier, to tell the amplfier which one of the 2 or 3 antennas (depending on car) to use.

Yes, was trying to keep it simple. :P

BTW the remote still works with a broken rear window. Probably only the range that is affected.

The red nose on the mirror is the alarm LED. Both our E46s have it. Both have motion sensors on the head lining.

The plot thickens!!

Questions 1)

The car only had 1 key when i brought it.

Question 2)

The numbers on the key that came with the car are:

315MHz

BMW 933 721

I brought a second key off Jeff Gray BMW. They used my chassis number to supply a key with the following numbers:

315MHz

FCCID..LX8 FZV

CAN 2911 102 800

BMW 6 955 750

Question 3)

There is no sign of an infra red bulb/projector on either key

Question 7)

I don't know if the car has an alarm.

To muddy the water even further please note the following:

Jeff Grey BMW workshop actually got the system woking by swapping a mirror off a simalar vehicle (as stated previously) but they also synched a spare key they had in their workshop. Bizarrely htis was an NZ key and the system worked??

The central locking worked when I brought the car. I had the car off the road for a month or so while I detailed it. The battery was disconnected for most of this time. The only electrical things I did were (1) fitted the new head unit - adaptor plugs used - no wiring cut (replaced the front speakers - woofers.

The dealer has tested my original key twise now and insists that the RF part of it is faulty. Apart from not being used (and therefore not charged) for the month that the car was off the road the key is the same key that did work when I first brought the car.

OK, it sounds like you have some Japanese variant that doesn't appear in the parts catalogue or the wiring description - not entirely unusual.

It sounds like they have done the right testing and that indeed your mirror might be the receiver.

There are some Japanese things that are hard to find descritpion of - like the Japanese automatic toll collection system, the Japanese traffic info system, etc

If you spent a month detailling your car it sounds like you have a passion for BMWs

If you have a passion for BMWs you probably want to look after and maintain the car properly.

To maintain the car properly you should only use new parts (reliable, with garranty, etc)

So why don't you just buy a new mirror?

Edited by jochen

OK, it sounds like you have some Japanese variant that doesn't appear in the parts catalogue or the wiring description - not entirely unusual.

It sounds like they have done the right testing and that indeed your mirror might be the receiver.

There are some Japanese things that are hard to find descritpion of - like the Japanese automatic toll collection system, the Japanese traffic info system, etc

If you spent a month detailling your car it sounds like you have a passion for BMWs

If you have a passion for BMWs you probably want to look after and maintain the car properly.

To maintain the car properly you should only use new parts (reliable, with garranty, etc)

So why don't you just buy a new mirror?

Because they want $2,800 for one!!!!

Thanks for your help Jochen.

While you're there, is disabling the reversing beep - beep thing straight forward?

Because they want $2,800 for one!!!!

Thanks for your help Jochen.

While you're there, is disabling the reversing beep - beep thing straight forward?

Amazing price isn't it. in the USA, the mirrors range from $86 (manual) to $502 (the most expensive electrochromatic).

The trouble with Jap cars is that there are some special models with special Jap parts that noone else uses - like on your car :-)

Why don't you get the part number, and make inquiries in the USA. My expeirence is that NZ Retail = 3x the price of USA Retail for BMW parts.

And, don't give up on re-syncing the key. Try another battery disconnect to reset the car, then re-sync the key again. Who knows...

On the E39, removing the reverse beep is as simply as unplugging the reverse beep wire from the Gong.

On the E39 it's a single wire on a single connector. The e46 looks different, but I don't trust the completeness of my info

Look at the gong. It has a 3-pin connector on it (power, ground, and control). That must stay connected for the other gong functions to work. You may also have a 2nd connector with one wire. The 2nd connector may be used for PDC (if fitted) or for the reverse beep. Try it - just remove the plug and see what gong tones still exist.

Closure on the central locking system at last. I brought a mirror off a US M3 convertible via Ebay. Plugged it in and it worked a treat. Spent a lot of time chasing sedan mirrors but the US sedans use the radio antenna system not the mirror as a receiver.

Hi guys. I’m trying to fix my E39 and E46 remote locking as well. Both Infrared key remote. E46 it still works fine with remote key except one of the key remote stopped working. For E39 central locking from inside the car works fine, but remote doesn’t work at all and was wondering if I change the module with 433mhz on E39 then change the key to radio frequent one would it work? If so, I’m thinking of doing the same thing to E46. All the help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

On 1/15/2009 at 7:32 PM, central3 said:

Closure on the central locking system at last. I brought a mirror off a US M3 convertible via Ebay. Plugged it in and it worked a treat. Spent a lot of time chasing sedan mirrors but the US sedans use the radio antenna system not the mirror as a receiver.

Hey man. When you got the mirror from eBay how do you know the mirror is radio antenna system not infrared? I’ve looked through as well but can’t tell the difference...

4 hours ago, Arata said:

Hi guys. I’m trying to fix my E39 and E46 remote locking as well. Both Infrared key remote. E46 it still works fine with remote key except one of the key remote stopped working. For E39 central locking from inside the car works fine, but remote doesn’t work at all and was wondering if I change the module with 433mhz on E39 then change the key to radio frequent one would it work? If so, I’m thinking of doing the same thing to E46. All the help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

If they are both the same key then you can sync the remote function with your one good key, this will rule out key/receiver issues. There should be no need to replace the mirror on your e46 as you clearly have one dead key(probably battery failed) and one good key. Of course you can swap it out if you so choose but it's not necessary 

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

If they are both the same key then you can sync the remote function with your one good key, this will rule out key/receiver issues. There should be no need to replace the mirror on your e46 as you clearly have one dead key(probably battery failed) and one good key. Of course you can swap it out if you so choose but it's not necessary 

Would it be the same for E39 as well?