Sign in to follow this  
deshanv

Ski hatch subwoofer install

You guys also need to take into consideration that the owners car is also a convertable. It's an M3 Cab. It has less space in the boot area.

A new sub that's just come onto the market is the DD 6.5 subwoofer. http://www.ddaudio.com/mobile-audio/specia...w65-series.aspx . No idea what it sounds like or how it would fit into an armrest or a convertible.

They were ~NZ$255 each. Highlighting this sub cos it's something different to normal

guys, glen is right, my car is a convertible. It does not come with spare tyre. Very little space under trunk liner.

Car audio always provides such good entertainment

Here we have discussion about putting a sub in the arm rest in the back, this is actually quite a good Idea and if properly executed can work very well.

The post then degenerates into obsession with fashion for ridiculously badly engineered speakers.

The link goes to an IB sub that handles 550watts

Lets look at it the speaker specs !!

The cone weight MMS is 250 grams , the efficiency is 83dB 1W/1m QMS is 4

What does this mean?

- The cone is so heavy you need a mack truck to move it - Hifi cone weights are around 50 grams for LF units

- The speaker is so inefficient it needs 1000 watts to produce 90dB SPl - a hifi speaker is typically 89 -91db - 1W/1m so for 1 watt in it will put out about the same acoustic power as this dog of a sub when it sucks a kilowatt.

- Qms is 4 which means the suspension is so stiff again you need a mack truck to move it.

So this heavy cone with stiff suspension is not going to move without some serious power it will be sluggish sound compressed and slurred and lack any detail because the detail will have come and gone before the cone overcomes its inertia.

Fashion is such a wonderful thing people will pay stupid money for flashy crap that doesn't deliver, or is it a penis extension ?

Two 4 ohm 180mm drivers in a sealed enclosure that replaces the arm rest would sound great. If you are into sound quality

Um could you give it to me in english Doc

That kicker should have been fine, looked like a good spec sub. I'm thinking that the amp would have been clipping to distroy the voicecoil (or a faulty speaker perhaps)

Here's another variation of the boot well install. Plenty of ideas here

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/top...lium-bmw-323ci/

What RF 10's are they? and how old?

By memory they're a T1D210 which is the dual 2ohm coils. No idea what they're worth, I bought them for a stupid amount of money, something like $600 each.

On another note, has anyone heard of these guys?

http://www.stereointegrity.com/

As far as shallow sub's go, overseas forums seam to rave about them. Can't purchase off them at the moment, as they're in the process of releasing the new version. But I'm probably going to get one for the e39 wagon and replace factory sub.

There's some awesome videos of them testing out one of them on youtube.

Edited by jcerecke