Sign in to follow this  
albert72

E46 M52TU CRUISE CONTROL RETROFITTED

Finally retrofitted a cruise control to my 2000 E46 328i with a M52TU motor. First of all, big thanks to Glenn and Joe .I have to admit that before starting out with this retrofit, I was a bit skeptic and was only expecting a 20-30% success rate since the retrofit kit only list the following engines;M54, N47 AND M54, M57 and M47tu engines . On top of that,,most of the cruise control retrofit I see on the web are for DRIVE BY WIRE and not for throttle cabled E46s. Anyway I was told that the worst scenario after the fitting kit is that the cruise control will simply not work (assuming you’ve done everything properly).

So I did a bit of research and found out that M52TU has a motorized throttle body (MDK) which performs the following function

Precision intake air control

• ASC control

• MSR control

• Cruise control

• Preset position during engine start up (if temperature is < 0ºC)

“The MDK control function is integrated into the Siemens MS42.0 ECM. The ECM carries this function out by regulating the engine throttle valveâ€

From what I understand here, the cruise control function is already built in the ECM (no coding needed). The throttle cable actuates the throttle sensor (which is integrated in the MDK) and sends signal to the ECM.

So after arming myself with these info and bit of luck, I’ve set out to find a 3 spoke multifunction steering wheel from Ray at HellBM and retrofit wiring harness from Team McMillan. All in all, it cost me around $400.

I followed the instructions on the retrofit kit and Jason’s post as well as another from e46 fanatics

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....showtopic=30917

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=544160

Now, in connecting the cruise control wire to the ECM (single blue wire). Since the retrofit instructions doesn’t list the M52TU. I took a chance in connecting it to PIN 27. I found this forum from the UK where this guy successfully retrofitted a cruise control to a M52TU by connecting the cruise control wire to PIN 27

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showt...rol-Help-please

Reconnected everything, started the car and…..EML + ASC dash lights went off !. Thanks to Glenn and Joe, found out that I mixed up the connectors on the DME box while reconnecting them (DUH!).

Ok, take 2….after reconnecting everything (properly), started the car, drove off and VOILA! Cruise control is working! Just in time for the long drive this easter:D

A word of caution, although I've done my share of research on this, please proceed at your own risk

Good to hear you got it sorted in the end. I think sometimes the best thing is to research stuff yourself. This way you get to see how it works and why things happen.

Nice work guys.

Holy Crap! Sounds like a lot of effort - glad it worked out for you!

I reckon I've used the cruise twice - can't be bothered with it myself :ph34r: I think the roads up here are just too variable - motorway would be easier I guess.

REtrofits are cool - I can't be arsed doing most of them though :lol: