Sign in to follow this  
M5V8

a heads up (BEWARE of shred!)

sh*t no I'm just a Legacy driver, them Impreza pilots wont listen to me : they still have some fan-boys, but like I say "they" are already going elsewhere

Ie STM or even Yeti/Keith Stewart

As someone who is spending mega money myself at Shred Motorsport on a sr20vet, I got shown this topic by someone I know and I realise I'll likely get ripped in to for saying the folowing but felt like having my say

First things first, I do very much agree that it sounds as though they haven't handled the situation as great as they should have, eg telling you the motor blew up due to the turbo so not our fault. What I think they should have done is check over your motor instead of you having to have it checked elsewhere. Also they should have checked for any metal shards within the oil system [such as the oil cooler] after the first motor rebuild having problems.

But, in saying that everyone on this board has only been told YOUR side of the story and not theres. I'm not saying they're "sh*t" like some on here, but I'm also not saying that it's possible to make mistakes. I work in a trade industry myself as a job, we do make mistakes as not every job goes to plan as it should. I can understand how frustrated you'll be if your motor ended up blowing up, but again I don't know their side of the story and neither does anyone else apart from yourself. I just think it's a bit childish for people to scream out they're "sh*t" after one or two engines blow out of how many people that have had trouble free with them. It's just bad luck it didn't go so well and again we all make mistakes

Edited by lockiess15

Hi mitchell.

I can appreciate your point of view and I really hope your build doesn't experience a 10th of the issues that mine did.

Yes this might just be my side of the story. However these don't change the facts of the case.

Facts that were tabled as evidence in court.

1. they incorrectly sized the head gasket leading to the damage of the first motor

2. they delayed the rebuild of this engine for over a year to claim insurance

3. they returned the car both damaged and unsafe

lets just pause for a second on #3. The front suspension was basically not attached to the car anymore. If I had entered an event there was a very real chance of loosing control of the car.

I, or worse still, a spectator could have been hurt or killed. I guess it was somekind of luck the turbo issue occurred and this was discovered.

4. when the second engine was damaged they would promise everything, but never did a thing

5. they then attempted to dodge me until I got them in court

6. they also attempted to dodge court not showing up 3 times

7. the ruling is pretty conclusive & overwhelming, I'm more than happy to release this as it's on public record

In the end when they couldn't blame the turbo's anymore they blamed "lack" of oil changes when the car had 2 in less than 2000km.

They even had the nerve to suggest the car may had done more kms than the speedo showed as I may have 'disconnected' it.

I gave them every chance to check the motor themselves(despite 1-3 above), every chance to stand up and correct the problem. They even got a secondary engine report prepared and stuck me with the bill for it.

I had months of promises to collect the engine to take it back to their engine builder for analysis.

Once in court they then complained that they were denied the ability to take the motor to back to their engine builder.

The vital piece of evidence (the oil filter) I handed to them myself and this subsequently was lost. In court they said they never got it.

if you have a issue with your work, why would you throw away the one thing that could exonerate you?

Are you getting the picture yet?

since this i have discovered alot of things about Shred's reputation amongst the industry.

5 years & $28k spent. their work speaks for it'self. 2 engines destroyed and a district court ruling for compensation which so far hasn't been paid.

If this happens to you, how will you react?

Edited by M5V8

I can't comment on the suspension, and neither can I comment on the whole engine build unless I heard their story to make a full judgement on this. But from what I can see right in front of me, it does sound like they handled the situation poorly as I mentioned above.

It's quite unfortunate that the situation was handled in such a manner [based on your story] as for how I'd feel, I can say right now I wouldn't be too pleased either. I'll be keeping a look out on my engine once I get it back, but in saying that this is the only serious problem I've ever heard about Shred. So naturally considering I and friends haven't had problems [thus far] I'd be quick to assume they're not fully at fault if you can understand that. But yeah at the same time I'm not making a full judgement and I didn't mean to upset you or anyone else for that matter. Was just my two cents

fair call Mitchell.

I really hope you build goes smoothly.

IMO it's a milestone given your story & the fact that the decision has been ruled in your favour. I just hope that they pay up for what has occurred. I'm in the service industry & I have the realisation that "what's built by man can be f**ked by man" & some things can go wrong & even though some things can be done incorrectly by the installer/serviceman on a general scale it's then up to the business to rectify these issues. This said, it's how fast things are rectified that makes good service & in your case this has been total failure which is why you're in this position. Keep us posted & I hope you see a few more slides in your account soon.

no slides. deadline past. no contact.

Statutory demand served. 15days wait before the liquidators move in.

no slides. deadline past. no contact.

Statutory demand served. 15days wait before the liquidators move in.

Sorry to hear about this. I can only imagine your frustration.

What company have you served the stat demand on? Shred Industries Limited? If so that company is due to be removed from the Companies Office for not filing an annual return. On the 23rd of July he has formed a new company "Shred Motorsport Limited". Three guesses why...

Also, for the guy that is having some work done by these guys at the moment - get your car out of there ASAP or face a saga with liquidators.

damn. twine? wholey cow. I feel for that guy.

The latest on my saga is I received a letter today stating that Shred is requesting a rehearing in it Shred has accused Steve Murch of providing false evidence in court.

Which is, utter, utter horsesh*t of course.

Steve is registered with the NZ court system as it's resident expert to call on for anything turbo related.

He has never, ever done anything but provide objective evidence based on facts. All his evidence has been consistent and backed up with written proof.

Shred has changed their story so many times I've lost count and claims of not remembering facts makes me think they should run for parliment. All the while they never tabled any evidence. Because they never had any.

Also they are now requesting to add their insurance company and the engine builder as respondents in the case.

Anyone to shift blame to. That should go down well with them.

I've provided my response to the court in regards to this obvious stall tactic. An appeal for rehearing does not effect any enforcement action.

I'm confident the court will see through this. Everything else is on track.

Edited by M5V8

Sounds like the insurance company coming in late, trying to minimise their exposure.

IME the only thing worse than trying to sue some idiot is dealing with his insurance company.

Good luck and keep going.

Sorry to hear about this. I can only imagine your frustration.

What company have you served the stat demand on? Shred Industries Limited? If so that company is due to be removed from the Companies Office for not filing an annual return. On the 23rd of July he has formed a new company "Shred Motorsport Limited". Three guesses why...

cheers... yes well aware.

My lawyer predicted they would do this.

I may have missed it, but how exactly did the head gasket cause the problem?

Edited by tarmac-

Sound like yet another cowboy who thinks they can dodge court rulings by changing the business name.

If he trys to dodge you by changing businesses etc i would be filing to have the debt put directly on him.

if hes bankrupt he cant own a business etc which might convince him to pay up.

lets hope lockiess15 isnt in him for to much money, wouldn't be the first person to lose their deposit when a company falls over, also wouldn't be the first person to find their car or parts sold to cover a bill and the owner gone.

Sounds like the man knows how to fix cars but has no idea how to build motorsport vehicles.

theres a big difference, and only years of experience can make you good enough to build a race engine.

10 seconds on boost vs 15 minutes on boost is a massive difference.

In this day and age all you have to do is remind him that you are happy to create facebook pages etc detailing his work and dodgy tactics, let him decide whats best for business.

In this day and age all you have to do is remind him that you are happy to create facebook pages etc detailing his work and dodgy tactics, let him decide whats best for business.

Yeah cheers Jason. I've only just got started with this campaign ;)

ruling on their re-hearing request due this wk.

I may have missed it, but how exactly did the head gasket cause the problem?

the 3 layer metal gasket they specified and installed didn't allow for 'squish' when torquing the head down (ie - it was 1 size too big).

this forced the edge of the gasket to lip over the top into the cylinder.

When running this heated up and started detonating in the cylinder. Once the gasket broke down water started pushing from the water jacket in the block into the cylinders and it all went downhill from there.

It would be interesting to see how they lodged the claim with their insurance company. Initially they told me it must have been a manufacturing fault with the gasket, until they eventually admitted they didn't spec the size right.

Can you claim for incompetence?

Edited by M5V8

you can probably claim incompetence but im sure your premiums will go up.

he will probably just blame it on the new guy at the shop

Just left court from the rehearing.

Shred's application for a rehearing has been turned down on all counts.

The application didn't have a leg to stand on, it was pretty obvious. In this instance the legal system has worked, if slowly. But most of that is due to Shred's failure to show up to the hearings, like again today.

This is the end. They have no further avenues for regress. The order from July16th stands. Enforcement will be swift from here.

My lawyer will have the relevant documents later today. They have to pay up. One way or another now.

lockiess15 PM sent.

• Like 1

Narr unless they pay the amount in full we will be liquidating the company. That would be pretty stupid of them. I'm sure they have more than $15k invested in branding alone.

What they haven't realised is the damange dragging this out is doing to their reputation. They are pretty much a joke now.

Edited by M5V8

What they haven't realised is the damange dragging this out is doing to their reputation. They are pretty much a joke now.

Business eludes some people!

Also. To the guy who's new turbo recently expired due to Shred incorrectly sizing your turbo lines.

If you are preparing court papers against them, as I have heard. PM me. I can assist.

Edited by M5V8