Sign in to follow this  
sonic_attack

Hub Rings

82mm - 72.6mm

Fitting T3 Schnitzers. If anyone has a set or might know someone local? Bit of an odd one probably I know, figured I'd ask before committing to something on the opposite side of the planet.

I've done a bit of research and that's apparently the CB of 2 piece 'racing' Schnitzers. I can't fit the bloody calipers in there without chopping a bit off which I'm reluctant to do, looks about right though from eyeing it up crooked.. If anyone else knows any better though?

Ta.

Scarles sells them, though they're plastic but they do the trick. 90 cents (don't quote me on that) a ring.

In my opinion get aluminium ones. Can grab them off ebay easy enough if you dont mind the longer wait.

Yah I got a few Ali sets a couple months ago off ebay for my type 2's.

I should have done some more thorough investigation, I've nice shiny wheels and new tyres sitting here with nowhere to go, dammit! I just assumed they were e39 fitment of 74.yada yada.

I can't actually find any details on why they are 82mm CB. I'm guessing at maybe some center lock arrangement?

I thought you made a typo, are they really 82mm? That's a huge hub size difference

I believe so yes. I trieda 74mm hub ring on it and its looser than a brazillian hooker on football world cup final night.

Theres a few references around the net regarding acs type 3 racing wheels and cb of 82mm. Interestingly I found bbs hub rings on ebay specifically for fitting 82mm center bore for some of their wheels down to 72.5-6mm bmw fitment.

The options on ebay suggest the size I require for these arent that much a rarity and anodized ali ones with retaining circlips will set me back around $60-$65. I was just trying my luck locally before having to wait.

The commonality between the acs "racing" and the discovery of the bbs center bore of 82mm lead me to think of some center locking fitment for dedicated track use. I dont know that though, just guessing.

The wheels have a build date of 1999 and also the 9.5" pair are et15 which falls outside the acs spec of et21 for this wheel.

The wheels are genuine Schnitzer as far as I can tell. They're stamped with ronal and acs logos etc.

They weren't there long. Prefer to have them in my wheel arches really.

I looked on trademe already (first call actually). Id be lucky and amazed if anyone in NZ actually stocks them. I also messaged roo who has the same dilemma with type 3 monoblocks. He's already approached the local hopefuls with no luck either.

I'd be dubious about using plastic. Tried approaching a local engineering shop to get some made out of stainless? Cost would probably be higher than ones made of nylon or whatever but at least they'd last, wouldn't deform either.

Just my 2c :)

Ive had plastic before but they were properly hard phenolic plastic. Much harder than alloy.

I would be wary about mixing to many indifferent metals in a hot damp enviroment where static charge can be present. Stainless holds a 0.4v anodic difference to aluminium and 0.35v to cast iron. Which is quite bad for generating galvanic corrosion.

Cast iron to alloy is 0.05v so very little reaction.

For this reason i would go for alloy as with stainless the expected corrosion can seize a wheel onto the hub and long term damage the wheel.

• Like 1

I just bought some Aluminium BBS "PFS" Rings and circlips in to suit 72.6 hubs , wheel bore was 82m, and the wheel has a groove for a circlip to fit in place that locks the ring in place. If you want to test fit one of mine to see if it works let me know, I found them on ebay for ~$60.

Oh good. I have those blue anodized ali bbs ones on my watchlist. Was wondering about the circlip though. I dont think itll get in the way of anything with 5mm between hub/bore.

They're alright though? They look like the best quality/value out of whats available.

I dont need to try them thanks, im confident.

I did wonder why the options re material used for these hub rings was limited to the softest most brittle media. Id figured cost, didn't consider corrosion at all.

A similar reason there's a lead anode screwed to the leg of outboard motors eh.

Yeah , they were for a set of BBS wheels so not sure how the ACS stuff translates, but they were recessed and tapered in all the right places, circlips fit well, tolerances spot on. Definitely happy with the purchase.

Ive had plastic before but they were properly hard phenolic plastic. Much harder than alloy.

I would be wary about mixing to many indifferent metals in a hot damp enviroment where static charge can be present. Stainless holds a 0.4v anodic difference to aluminium and 0.35v to cast iron. Which is quite bad for generating galvanic corrosion.

Cast iron to alloy is 0.05v so very little reaction.

For this reason i would go for alloy as with stainless the expected corrosion can seize a wheel onto the hub and long term damage the wheel.

Further proof I have much to learn! :) Good to know though