Sign in to follow this  
adz

Rear brake offset

Hi guys, I'm hoping someone can shed some light on why the e30's have such a big offset of the brake rotor from the face of the hub? I'm looking to run 2 piece hat and rotors, and trying to work out if I can eliminate some of that offset so I can buy off the shelf hats.

Any help would be awesome.

Cheers

Not sure about the e30 but many cars run handbrake shoes insode the rotor so need that height.

Also why change it? The rotors for an e30 are cheap as chips. Can find.generic brand ones for close to $50 each if you look in the right places

Can then have the option of better slotted rotors which should handle hard abuse. Even if you are going for bigger aftermarket calipers.

But im.sure some of the open class guys might have some input

Not sure about the e30 but many cars run handbrake shoes inside the rotor so need that height.

Exactly this, the handbrake shoes come up against the rear discs in side that large offset piece - you will see thm when you pull the discs off.

Convert to a hydraulic hand-brake, or remove the handbrake completely, and it will free up your choice of rotors.

Unfortunately Jason the standard rear brake set up is not good for extreme racing set-ups to balance against bigger front brakes and rotors.

Perfect, that's the answer I was looking for. We'll be running hydro hand brake, and yeah gives us a great selection for rotors and calipers. Cheers guys

Also have found this problem, have bought a bbk for my e36 but need to retain rear handbrake, any thoughts on this, I've found a few options, from machining the original disc to adapt it for a floating setup like so:rearadapter-2.jpg

To a kit from "massive brakes" in Canada, but he only sells kits and won't part with the specifically designed park brake ring he's developed (fair enough too with all that R&D)

I've also found some wilwood factory options but am unsure on final fitment, still have to rip a wheel off and measure the internal diameter of the hand brake shoe.

So does anyone have any ideas/ knowledge on the subject?

The cert guy won't do hydro hand brakes for road cars so I need another option!