Sign in to follow this  
m2geek

[Q] Replacement/Upgrade for e39 530i

Hey guys,

Getting myself a 2002 530i next week (YAY!) and It has the standard Japanese GPS with the DVD drive in the Boot.

I would ideally like to get something in-fitting with the trim.

Drove the car today after coming upon it for sale, and the Radio comes on, but couldn't figure out to tune it, nothing showed up on the display when I turned the radio on.

Thanks in advance :) and great to be back on the Bimmersport forums.

What are you saying - you want to replace the monitor with aftermarket? Why?

If car is post 09/01, it will have a world tuner - see the thread on here for reset procedure.

Was the monitor turned off when you were trying the radio?

Jap Nav can be chucked out & replaced with Euro spec

What are you saying - you want to replace the monitor with aftermarket? Why?

If car is post 09/01, it will have a world tuner - see the thread on here for reset procedure.

Was the monitor turned off when you were trying the radio?

Jap Nav can be chucked out & replaced with Euro spec

Monitor was off/not working. Pushed Many buttons - but nothing but the sound of the radio and an orange light near the volume dial. I shall have another fiddle when I go to pick the car up next week. I'd prefer to keep it original as all the aftermarket stuff looks out of place.

If be i'll try n pick up used replacement headunit.

In the boot there is a bigass DVD rom thing that says its for the navigation - it also has the boot light apart of it.

Did a Decode on the VIN and the speaker system comes up as "S676A" is that the "premium" one I see people talking about on the US form?

As Grant has mentioned about the radio world tuner after 09/01 the Japanese GP S nav system will not work in NZ has to be replaced with a US or Euro spec unit would go for the latest a Mk4 set up I believe. Would check the CD player to see if it has extra input and output plugs as I have no doubt you will be looking to hook up an I pod mp and other music thingies.

With respect due to other forum members, its your car, if you want to add an aftermarket stereo system, then do it. You are the one that will be driving it :-) There are several members on the forum who are clued up when it come to the electrics and what not and im sure they would be more then willing to provide some advise when asked.

Then again, as Grant has mentioned, you can replace the Jap units with Euro spec ones etc and there are some fancy add-on devices for iPod or Aux you can do. So really it is up to what you want to do.

Ive personally gone for a dynavin that i absolutely love. There are some replicas on trade me for a good price.

As Grant has mentioned about the radio world tuner after 09/01 the Japanese GP S nav system will not work in NZ has to be replaced with a US or Euro spec unit would go for the latest a Mk4 set up I believe. Would check the CD player to see if it has extra input and output plugs as I have no doubt you will be looking to hook up an I pod mp and other music thingies.

Yea defo want iPod integration, It has the CD Stacker in the boot, but ain't no body got time fo that... The CD Changer connector can be reused for an iPod yes?

I may jump on eBay and see if I can find a mk4 - I was doing a lot of gooooooogling last night on things.

Can't WAIT to pick the car up :D

With respect due to other forum members, its your car, if you want to add an aftermarket stereo system, then do it. You are the one that will be driving it :-) There are several members on the forum who are clued up when it come to the electrics and what not and im sure they would be more then willing to provide some advise when asked.

Then again, as Grant has mentioned, you can replace the Jap units with Euro spec ones etc and there are some fancy add-on devices for iPod or Aux you can do. So really it is up to what you want to do.

Ive personally gone for a dynavin that i absolutely love. There are some replicas on trade me for a good price.

I only considered aftermarket if I can't get a factory unit to do what I want, which is basically play an iPod and the OBC stuff.

The Dynavin units seem awfully expensive :P

I only considered aftermarket if I can't get a factory unit to do what I want, which is basically play an iPod and the OBC stuff.

The Dynavin units seem awfully expensive :P

This is true.

I did an AUX install last week for my cousin in his 2001 528i, mind you it only had the single din tap deck. But im pretty sure it would be similar. I followed this page, http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=356827 but have a look at these, i use them all the time. Yours might be the one on the rightOldGen17PinRadiopinout.jpgNewGen40PinRadiopinout.jpg

Now if you have an iphone, you can get the docking stations off trade me for around $15 and 99% of them fit into the center ashtray if you remove it.

• Like 1