Sign in to follow this  
grantdavis28

e30 ignition problem

Hi guys, Im having problems with my e30,

the key works in the ignition fine, turns from lock to on, however it wont turn the starter on, seems like it may be worn out or the barell needs replacing,

I was thinking the cheapest fix would be to do a push button start hide it under the dash somewhere.

Key on and then just hit the starter,

Or how hard is it to get a new ignition barrel and be able to keep my original key?

Ideas please :-)

Also my door locks have failed so I have to use the boot for central locking, is this a good chance to replace all my locks and iginition with a new set and a new key? if so, where do I purchase?

I had very similar problems recently

You can test that the car still starts by bridging pins 11 and 14 on the diagnostic port. Does your key still turn to the start position?. Your problem may just be the ignition switch which attaches to the back of the barrel.

I had the same problem with my door locks, I just installed a Keyless entry kit that I got of trademe for about $40.

Edited by alisterh
  • Like 1

Check the wire to the starter motor with a multimeter, my brothers car did the same thing and the wire had crapped out somewhere in the loom. Was easy enough to run a new wire to the starter m

My electrical barrel fell off the back of the key barrel once. So had to use both a key to do steering lock and a screwdriver to start. Didn't look stolen at all! Cable ties fixed that issue tho!