Sign in to follow this  
podrae

catalytic converter removal 318i

Hi Guys

I have been having an issue with my 2003 318i for a year now where it makes this horrible rattling sound when cold, It sounds exhaust related but with the help of some mechanic friends we have failed to pin point it.

recently the engine light came on and the code came back as a catalytst efficiency threshold issue p0420. It occurred to me that my issue is almost certainly a busted Cat causing the noise.

I have been looking around on Google and have found that its possible to remove this entirely which as I understand wont fail a wof in NZ. 

From what I can find this was straight forward on older models but is hard if not impossible to do on newer models with front and rear 02 sensors. What I am wanting to clarify is if doing this will create any ill effects including triggering error lights / codes....

Thanks

Gut it and run a o2 spacer or mini cat spacer on the 2nd sensor. Or I can disable the fault in the ecu if that doesn't suit

Ok so it is possible to get around it, I would be coming to see you but unfortunately im at the other end of the country :)

4 hours ago, podrae said:

Ok so it is possible to get around it, I would be coming to see you but unfortunately im at the other end of the country :)

We can get around that, but first try this http://www.redlineperformance.co.nz/products/exhaust/o2-oxygen-sensor-spacer/o2-oxygen-sensor-spacer-with-mini-cat/

How many kms on the car?