Sign in to follow this  
325_driver

m54 Conrod Bearings / Sump Gasket

Thinking of doing my sump gasket on my m54, may be leaking.

And if i have to do that, was tempted to do my conrod bearings while i'm at it.

Cars done 210k on the clock, no weird noises or anything but if im going to go through the hassle getting that sump off - might it be worth while replacing conrod bearings.

Car is generally maintained oil wise, and isn't abused too much. How long do these things last? (I know it's hard to say) but any one had bearings last 300k + 400k +?

Thoughts?

Jonathan

Lets get real here Jonathan are you handy with a spanner have the necessary gear and knowledge to do the job if a DIY. If not the money to pay some one?

Is their or is their not an oil leak from the sump gasket  If it is a DIY do you know what it involves. To replace the sump gasket on one of these is a pain in the arse type job, personal experience.

if the sump has to come off the condition of the inside of the sump plus crank cover or splash cover will be a good indicator to how well the engine has been looked after. If it ain't broke don't try and fix it comes to mind

An item to check would be your engine mounts these compress over time. my 2 cents worth

I've done them before in the past on the m20, and yeah pain in the arse.

in saying that Brother is doing it - qualified mechanic.

I was just wondering in peoples experience what issues they have had with the m54 rod bearings over time, and whether it's worth me doing them while the sump is off since it's a pain in the arse job