Sign in to follow this  
marmel

Turbo's - Fix Wastegates or Replace?

I have the wastegate rattle, lasts for the first minute when warming up then goes away. Turbo's seem to run fine, boost OK etc. 2006 E91, 170km's on the clock.

So, two choices (assuming I don't want to put up with the rattle).

1. Pull turbo's out, have the wastegate rattle fixed with the kits you can order from the US. Might fit downpipes whilst I'm there.

2. Pull turbo's out and rebuild - what are the options here? Just rebuild to factory specs or get them upgraded?

Any suggestions are appreciated as I haven't really dealt with turbo issues before. I have access to a hoist so would likely pull the turbo's out myself.

So generic turbo knowledge rather than E91 specific... but I'd say don't rebuild the turbos unless you know there's an existing problem or a design defect that you're trying to overcome... if it's ain't broke so to speak.

Wastegate rattle - super glue them closed, no more rattle and mooooooore boost. ??

Pull them off and give the housings to your local friendly machinist. Had some m57y ones done recently  all the shafts were flapping like crazy making a mental noise from exhaust leakage. Only cost a few hundred to re-bush

12 hours ago, dirtydoogle said:

Pull them off and give the housings to your local friendly machinist. Had some m57y ones done recently  all the shafts were flapping like crazy making a mental noise from exhaust leakage. Only cost a few hundred to re-bush

Yeah what I was thinking. Given they aren't that easy to get at and pull off I don't want to be doing it again in 12 months to fix anything else.

I saw an article a while back about fixing the rattle by adjusting the front facing turbos actuator rod by giving it a few turns to tighten and for the turbo facing back add a washer or two at the end of the actuator arm to tighten it all without taking the turbos out? 

3 hours ago, jasera94 said:

I saw an article a while back about fixing the rattle by adjusting the front facing turbos actuator rod by giving it a few turns to tighten and for the turbo facing back add a washer or two at the end of the actuator arm to tighten it all without taking the turbos out? 

Only a very short term fix and will make a much bigger mess when time to fix it correctly