Sign in to follow this  
bravo

BMW Race Series hopefuls:

TM Edited by bravo

pre FL box dont bolt up

bizzaarrch

pre FL box dont bolt up

bizzaarrch

Are you saying that a pre FL box will not fit into a FL model? Just wondering as i'm trying to source a spare 240 box for my FL 320.

Also any idea which model had the alloy carrier for the lever as opposed to the metal plate carrier (think i saw one at Andrew's when you were their).

Thanks

Mark

hey mark, yeah the pre FL 318's dont fit the FL, its a complete different engine.

i think the only source would be another FL 318...someone please correct me if im wrong?

all facelifts and some late pre FL (usually m325's) had the alloy shift carrier. exceptions may be if the car has been converted using earlier model stuff

Hey Mark, none of the 4 cyl boxes will fit your car, you need a 6 cyl box, pre face or face lift, both work I believe.

I think the alloy shift carrier might be an age thing, my late pre /fl 318 has the alloy one

Hey Mark, none of the 4 cyl boxes will fit your car, you need a 6 cyl box, pre face or face lift, both work I believe.

Dave, am i wrong to believe a Getrag 240 box is different in spec between a 318 and 320?

I thought it was just because some 320 had the 260 box which is not allowed.

Crikey i guess i need to confirm as they are asking $500 plus these days for a manual box.

Thanks for the help all

Mark

As far as I'm aware Mark, the only difference is the alignment of the bellhousing . they both have the same ratios etc, and the same bolt patterns, but the motors sit on different angles in the engine bay.

This means that if you try to bolt up a 4 cyl box in your car it would be on an angle, hits the tunnel, linkages don't fit, I don't think it actually fits in the tunnel because of the angle.

As far as I'm aware Mark, the only difference is the alignment of the bellhousing . they both have the same ratios etc, and the same bolt patterns, but the motors sit on different angles in the engine bay.

This means that if you try to bolt up a 4 cyl box in your car it would be on an angle, hits the tunnel, linkages don't fit, I don't think it actually fits in the tunnel because of the angle.

Thanks Dave, Will post a seperate forum asking for clarication on part number to look for or how i can tell the difference.

Your assistance is really appreciated.

Thanks Dave, Will post a seperate forum asking for clarication on part number to look for or how i can tell the difference.

Your assistance is really appreciated.

Not to say you can't make it fit - I had the bellhousing cut and rotated to make a 6 cylinder box fit a 4 cylinder

Yeah, but Mark has a 6 cyl and can't find a suitable box for it, less chance of finding a 4 cyl box to convert.