Sign in to follow this  
cainchapman

No more Traction control in F1

Traction control axed from 2008

30 March 2007

Traction control will no longer be legal in Formula One racing from the start of next season. The change is just one of a number to the 2008 regulations agreed by the teams and FIA at a meeting of the World Motor Sport Council earlier this week.

Article 9.3 of the newly-revised technical regulations states: “No car may be equipped with a system or device which is capable of preventing the driven wheels from spinning under power or of compensating for excessive throttle demand by the driver. Any device or system which notifies the driver of the onset of wheel spin is not permitted.â€

Outlawed in the 1990s, traction control was legalized for the 2001 season when it was felt that sophisticated electronics had made policing the ban impractical. From next season, however, standardized ECUs should make enforcement far easier.

Under other changes agreed, the regulations regarding engine homologation will be relaxed slightly, with teams able to make in-season adjustments to a longer list of components, including fuel injection and exhaust systems.

5 bucks the average speed will drop by a significants amount, also more crashes less records etc etc

its gonna be interesting, I mean, no traction control, whats next??? they might actually have to take off at the line by themselves, instead of letting the computer do it for them.

'Bout time, otherwise they just may as well make all the drivers redundant.

Blame A1.

Actually this sux, as it will detract from A1. (ie one of the more appealing aspect of it)

Anyone watch qualifying on Sat? Was really good.

I say bring back manual box's, no traction control, limited width tyres, no aerodynamics aids, unlimited horespower........ Then we will see who can drive. Or am I just going back to the 70's???

That was the 60's Jock.

The 70' were BIG wings, Ground effects, 18 inch wide rubber. 6 wheeled cars.

And the cars you described, can't have produced much better racing if you deem passing to be the yardstick (as many appear to) when in 1968 Jackie Stewart won a race by 4 MINUTES.

I'm still in favour of F1 being the pinnacle of motorsport. Traction control is something we can do without. The technology does filter down into road cars over time.

Otherwise, it's Indycar racing or A1Gp which aren't a patch on F1.

I'm still in favour of F1 being the pinnacle of motorsport. Traction control is something we can do without. The technology does filter down into road cars over time.

Otherwise, it's Indycar racing or A1Gp which aren't a patch on F1.

Having spent the weekend in Melbourne a couple of weeks back Cain, I gotta agree. Just bloody fantastic and my new ring tone is an F1 car disappearing off into the distance upchanging as quick as he can.

Just love it.

Great "optic nerving" too. :rolleyes:

Edited by StylesM5