Sign in to follow this  
owe

Oil Leak (what a nightmare!)

So I've never had any issue with my car and oil (1988 320i manual) since I've owned it. It gets regularly serviced and never seems to burn any oil. Anyway, I got the WOF without problems on Friday, was driving it around on Sunday and noticed the oil light come on. Pulled over at the next service station and checked the oil - it was extremely low. Thought this was a little odd but it was getting dark so I filled it up and drove the rest of the way home. Left it over night, checked in the morning and underneath it looked like an oil bomb had been let off.

I took it in to the local garage to get checked (I initially thought it might have been the oil pressure switch after reading these forums) and they said it looked like it was going to be a bit of a job to find the leak and fix it. To diagnose the problem they had to spend a while removing parts of the engine (radiator, cam belt) so I just went ahead with them and told them to fix it once they found what the problem was since they had it in pieces anyway. It was apparently 3 seals which had been slowly leaking but one finally blew. After replacing all of the seals they started it up today and within minutes the oil pressure switch then blew...exciting!

They've apparently:

- replaced all seals (5 of them?) including rocker cover gasket

- changed the cam belt, tensioner belt, some other belt in that area, and also a tensioner pulley (figured I may as well get it done at the same time since they had to remove them all to get at the oil leak)

- replaced oil pressure switch

- new antifreeze

- oil change

- leak stopper

Total bill came in at around $700 for parts and labor. My question is this a relatively good price for the labor and parts?

I'm heading overseas at some point and will probably have to part with the old girl so if anyone is interested she's had a good bit of service done recently ;)

IMO, someone on this forum could of done all that for $350 cash.

But yeah, if you needed it done there and then, thats ok~

- - but I would never pay that price for what was done.

Thats a fine price for that amount of PROFESSIONAL service i'd say, i wouldnt be cutting my wrists quite yet...!

On the other hand, I would guess close to $200 in parts, and a fair bit of work involved. Not the kind of problems you would like, and if left can lead to major failure. I'd say you got off lightly, and IMO not too badly stung at all. Let's just hope it's all fixed?

Thanks for the replies. Not fixed yet - waiting on the oil pressure switch to arrive before they can start it up again. Fingers crossed though!

i got a tappet seal, cambelt, tensioner, and new water pump done for $460 in Chch, i didnt have a pulley removal tool, and was easier to pay someone at the time..

i got a tappet seal, cambelt, tensioner, and new water pump done for $460 in Chch, i didnt have a pulley removal tool, and was easier to pay someone at the time..

You didn't have a crow bar [or 2 x 4], and a set of spanners from 8mm to 24 [or 26]mm?

I paid to have an m20 cambelt done once - also did tensioner, waterpump and a few other bits and pieces. $600 - sounds about right what you paid.

Sure for $200 in parts and your time you could do it yourself, but you have to know how.

$700 doesn't sound too bad for that work.

i had cambelt, tensioner belt, tensioner pullyand got them to check the whole car over for anything for $350.. i was stoked :D but aside from that... i cant stand the guy who did it, cocky arrogant and idiot kinda guy.. thinks hes better than everyone and makes sure you know it... i only go there if the need is desperate.

Edited by QuickSilver