Sign in to follow this  
Mr Dean

1996 328i auto trouble?

Hi..just bought the missus a 1996 328i auto. All seems good but from cold the auto is a bit hairy. I think it is a sensor or cold start irregularity. What it does is slightly over rev from first to second ( and erratic ) and seems a bit clunky to engage. After it warms it is sweet as and changes really good.

They reckon the trans fluid is for life but I might try changing.

Any thought's?

Thats pretty normal mate, depends on how long ago it was serviced whether the fluid needs changning ..

i have a jatco auto box if you need . there was a guy on bimmer sport with sim prob , turned out to be needing the ecu for the trans reset .

I used to rebuild Merc auto-transmissions and a common fault was that one of the clutch packs wore out pretty quick (when the cars were not all that old) and caused a slip from 3rd to 4th.

Auto Trans are actually pretty easy to overhaul really. I freaked out the first time I was given one to do, but the boss had faith in me, and after I completed the job, I had full faith in myself as well... and became pretty good with them as I did more and more. Beamer trans are probably not all the different to a Merc auto. Whether that's the cause of the fault with your car though, I'd had to test drive it to tell for sure.

BTW, I am no longer a mechanic - I work in IT these days. Got clean hands and more cash in my pocket now!

Cheers

Paul

My fathers e34 520 had the same problem, only it would slip when it was warm.

Turns out the transmission did not have enough fluid in it. Have you checked the fluid?