Sign in to follow this  
ducatiss

Insurance Companies

After reading yet another post about someone getting ripped off by their insurance company I think it is time for people to name and shame (or in the case of good service to rave) so that other people here will have some information to go on beforehand.

that was my post :D .. damn insurance... and the car that I got screwed over in, was totally un-modified at the time, and I had no reason to be denied half my claim...

They just decided that it wasnt worth the permium that I had been paying for 2 years, (how they did this, I am unsure) the car was in great shape BEFORE the event took place (car got stolen, involved in a high speed police chase, and totally trashed) they had a valuer go in, decide the car was worth x amount of dollars, if I had shown him the car before the accident, it would have been worth what it was insured for, the car had no marks on it what so ever, nothin illegal, no mods, nothing at the time (it USED to have mods, but that had been over 6 months ago plus, those were all removable) the car was totally standard, a 1994 ford telstar waggon, 145,000 k's and I had insured it for $3000, third party, fire and theft, they paid me 1.5 for it...

I couldnt believe it really, but thats what happend, several phone calls, branch visits, and arguments with people I gave in and said fine ill take it, (the alternative was get my own valuer).

They then sent me paper work, I sent it back via fax within the hour, thinkin it would go through in the next day or two... it took FOUR WEEKS from that day for me to recieve my money...

The insurance company to put shame to.. was Westpac, I cant remember what the insurance company they use is called, but I went through westpac.. and aside from that major screw over, have never had a problem, and im still with them simply because they insured my e30 with mods, and will continue in future after more mods (i checked)

That sticky is mainly about mods, this is just insurance screw overs in general if im not mistaken..

Edited by QuickSilver

Had no problems when I wrote off my 1st car in 2000 with AMI. Full insurance on my '86 Corolla hatch, insured for $4k. This is when the new licences came in, I hadn't bothered to update mine (why the hell should I? My paper licence said it expired when I turned 70!). So the cops forbid me to drive until I got a new one, told the insurance company, the woman at the desk told me not to worry, I had a cheque for $3500 ($500 excess) in 4 days.

Yeah AMI is totally fab. Im 16, 1989 BMW 316iA, Female, Dunedin was insured on learners but now have restricted (should change it actually) and my premium is only $660, soing down to $500 next year if i dont have a claim.

is it even possible to get insurance on learners???? that would mean, that if u had a crash and your driving alone it would be void?

is it even possible to get insurance on learners???? that would mean, that if u had a crash and your driving alone it would be void?

Yea, you can get insurance on learners. But they only pay out if you stick to the license conditions e.g. no driving after 10, etc.

But ofcourse nobody will get insurance if you're 15 and got a V10 M5

Yea, you can get insurance on learners. But they only pay out if you stick to the license conditions e.g. no driving after 10, etc.

But ofcourse nobody will get insurance if you're 15 and got a V10 M5

thats restricted though, learners, has learner plates, and cant drive without a full license driver whos had their license for over 2 years... so wouldnt you have to insure the full license driver as well or something???

thats restricted though, learners, has learner plates, and cant drive without a full license driver whos had their license for over 2 years... so wouldnt you have to insure the full license driver as well or something???

I don't know how that works, Just went on AMI and tried to get a quote but on this question "Does the principal driver hold a full or restricted New Zealand driver licence?" if you tick the box "No" they instantly say "We're sorry, due to the driver licence information you have provided we are unable to provide you with a quote online".

Which probably means they don't cover people with learners.

I'm with AMI as well and they have been great. I have been with them really since I started driving and I keep them up to date with all changes made to my car - ie lowering, sports suspension etc. I provided them with a valuation from a friendly car dealer to get the "agreed value" that I wanted without a problem. I prefer to insure with a company with a branch that I can walk into and talk to real people.

thats why i like (and sometimes hate) westpac, you go in and talk to them, they sort it out for you in person, although ur not actually dealing with the insurer its still better than talking over the phone.

Yeah thats online - In person I swear to god I was insured on my learners.

Better update them though..

Yeah thats online - In person I swear to god I was insured on my learners.

Better update them though..

best to do so, otherwise basically ur insurance is compeltely vooiiiddd.

I was with state. Rang them to say I had put a new radio in my car. They terminated my insurance. Wankers. It was just a new headunit.

So we moved Dads e55 AMG merc and XK8 Jag, my Mum's, brother and sister cars all to AMI. As you could imagine State was rather gutted. AMI has been great to all my family and the various misshaps we have had.

Guest Denny Crane

I was with state. Rang them to say I had put a new radio in my car. They terminated my insurance. Wankers. It was just a new headunit.

So we moved Dads e55 AMG merc and XK8 Jag, my Mum's, brother and sister cars all to AMI. As you could imagine State was rather gutted. AMI has been great to all my family and the various misshaps we have had.

Haha we've pulled that trick with state a few times. They love denying house and contents, and all it takes is a mild threat. They are bullies, but when it comes down to it, all mouth and no trousers.

Yea, my dad has had that experience, he moved, 2 business's. house and content, his rav4, mums, the 3 motorbikes, and seperate insurances such as espensive instruments, to westpac, state wasnt pleased, hehe.

Insurance is quite an often subject aye ... dont ya love insurance? Im making no comment otherwise threeoneeighht and myself will take over this thread

At the moment, if you are not happy with States response, say you have done nothing to your car, you were just curious or you will think about it and phone back in 10 mins ... you will get a different response

At the moment, if you are not happy with States response, say you have done nothing to your car, you were just curious or you will think about it and phone back in 10 mins ... you will get a different response

How true!!!

Unfortunately State's call centre is full of people who is following set scripts when answering inquiries. No initiatives or ability to think for themselves.

Even though State's call centres arecnot India based (or are they), lots of the workers there behave like it is.

However their insurance is still the cheapest. For example, for E36 Compact--> State ~$300, AA ~$500 per year.

So its AMI at the top, State in the middle, and Westpac at the bottom? Anyone here go through an insurance broker or have any other companies to compare?

I just rang around a few places with regards to 3rd party on a 1990 325i worth $3500. I'm 16 and on a learners, car parked on street in friendly area. AA wouldn't insure it, ami wouldn't insure it, state wouldn't insure it. All because they dont insure engines with a 2500cc rating or more for youngans.

I then made up I had a 1987 320i with 175,000ks worth $3000. Again neither ami or state would cover me, however AA was helpful.

they offered a $356 per year premium (3rd party, no fire&theft). The excess was a whopping $1300.

Basically its not worth me insuring a car lol. Out of the 3 places AA were the friendliest n most professional. The State feller was a git, and the ami chick was friendly but a tad ditsy.