Sign in to follow this  
phtbmr

WTB: 1987 e30 325i gearbox

Im after a bit of help

Im looking for a gearbox to suit the 1.1 motronic ignition which has the mounting holes for the speed and tdc sensors, along with the sensors, and a flywheel with the lug in it,

Thanks malcolm

Im after a bit of help

Im looking for a gearbox to suit the 1.1 motronic ignition which has the mounting holes for the speed and tdc sensors, along with the sensors, and a flywheel with the lug in it,

Thanks malcolm

Hi Malcolm -

Motronic gearboxes don't need any sensors in them. Motronic gets RPM (from a HT lead), CAS/TDC is on the front of the motor.

L-Jetronic gearboxes have all those sensors in them.

So in your case (if you have motronic) - then either gearbox will work for you.

Also, you can get the sensors from the stealer. You can also get a tap and dye set from Mitre 10 Mega etc.

The gearboxes should have the blanks for the sensors even if they dont have the actual sensors. You can just tap the sensors into the blanks.

A mate of mine did this with his Dogleg when he did the ignition swap.

Motronic gearboxes don't need any sensors in them. Motronic gets RPM (from a HT lead), CAS/TDC is on the front of the motor.

I would beg to differ. It took me almost a year to find a gearbox for my '87 2.5 conversion. It is Motronic not L-Jetronic. I went as far as building a jig so I could cut the sensor ports out of an auto bellhousing and weld into my 320 gearbox. '87 325's are the only model that run these gearbox sensors for RPM and TDC. I have done alot of research on this and found that even if you find a gearbox with blanks in the bell housing it is very important that you drill the sensor holes in the exact right place or the car will run like a sack of sh*t. Your best bet is to find late model 325 injection , comp and wiring. That way you can run the crank angle off the front and the RPM how ever it gets it from late model.

I have done alot of research on this and found that even if you find a gearbox with blanks in the bell housing it is very important that you drill the sensor holes in the exact right place or the car will run like a sack of sh*t.

Tried and Tested.

Worked for us :D

Hi Malcolm -

Andrew, Motronic 1.1 uses sensors on the bellhousing, l-jetronic uses the distributor so doesn't need sensors. Motronic 1.3 uses the sensor on the crank pulley and one on the ht lead.

Will

Maybe I'm wrong but I didn't think they made 2.5ltr with L-Jet?

cheers matt

thanks for all your feedback guys i have been a way for that last week and had no internet,

if i could not find a gearbox this will be the way i go around it

find late model 325 injection , comp and wiring. That way you can run the crank angle off the front and the RPM how ever it gets it from late model.

Have everything you need.

ph.0212435526

Regards Ray

Guest Denny Crane

To add to this, can an '85 g260 be used on a car currently with a '90 g260?

To add to this, can an '85 g260 be used on a car currently with a '90 g260?

Yes

i have a box for you but thats it no other bits. its in palmy but im in wellington but if you are keen il sort you out

call 021 2983279

Edited by bem-on