Sign in to follow this  
nz320i

travelling on ya own.. anyone done it?

Hey

So I am itching to go somewhere to work, like australia but then i thought its no different to here, and have heard sooo many good things about London.

Thing is my g/f found a course she wants to do, mates broke or are at uni/apprenticeships/tech and here I am ready to go!!

Anyone gone somewhere totally different by themselves?? Kinda keen to work and earn some UK dollars!

Hey

So I am itching to go somewhere to work, like australia but then i thought its no different to here, and have heard sooo many good things about London.

Thing is my g/f found a course she wants to do, mates broke or are at uni/apprenticeships/tech and here I am ready to go!!

Anyone gone somewhere totally different by themselves?? Kinda keen to work and earn some UK dollars!

just pick up your nuts and go, you'll soon get used to it. have a long hard think what you'll be leaving behind and what skills you lack that you might need, if you can do without these things then go for it, follow your gut instinct. but buy an e30 wherever you go and stay on the forum.

Talked to a mate in Vancouver today, may be heading there hopefully!! then ill get used to the whole thing.

Good luck!

I am kind of in the same situation as you ... itching to go somewhere but not too sure where at the moment.

I have dibs on your car with those sweet sweet BBS goodness!

Its awesome man .... I went to Vancouver and Washington, Los Angeles back in 2001 for 12 months to work.

If your single and go to USA or Canada, with our accent I guarantee you will pick up women at every bar/club you walk into, just talk and they the accent.

Bad thing was it was cold and wasnt used to snow and ice, and getting used to driving those big ass chevy's on the other side.

Take enough cash / credit card with you and stash some for back up, my parents were back here in NZ and to have money wired takes ages back then when I went broke, maybe different now.

LA is cool, thats worth a visit and to work, just make sure you wear the right clothes in the right neighborhoods...

Take a mate too, I had more fun with someone I knew at least over there

I did the whole UK/Europe OE thing 2 years back by myself. Was awesome. I did a contiki when I first got there which was 30 days long all over Europe. This helped cause I made heaps of mates who were in the same boat. Of course I lived in London. I had a pretty sweet job too. Delivering High end rental cars. Things like RS6 Audi's, W12 VW's etc etc. Had to ride a little fold up motorbike to pick them up. lol. Was awesome.

I suggest going to the UK man. Yeah the weather is sh*t alot of the time. But its the perfect base to see the rest of the world from. Flights are super cheap! e.g. I got a flight to Dublin for 25pounds return. Scotland is awesome! And Europe is so much fun.

Do it man. I wish I had stayed longer. 1 year wasn't enough. Now I am stuck wanting more!!!

awesome cheers fellas! where do you get a job delivering cars!! sounds great

I'm planning on UK when I finish my eng degree, I should be able to go straight into work when I get over there. Basically I'm planning to work and save up then go see parts of Europe, then back to UK to get more cash and so on. If you have UK born grandparents it makes work permits etc so much easier. I'll just stay till I get sick of it.

I've got a few mates that are also making plans to do their OE, depending on timing I'll either go by myself or go with mates. Don't think it really matters too much, if its just you, you can do what ever you want.

travelling by yourself is awesome..no one to hold you back and you end up meeting heaps more people and generally having a better time anyway....i know i did compared to people that were travelling with friends or in groups. for chicks its a bit diff for security and stuff but just go over and do it!

If you go to the UK look up a company called the Blue Team. Thats who I worked for. Will take anyone on! Haha