Sign in to follow this  
lordandrevv

e34 m50 gearbox trouble

hey guys

I got a bit of a problem with my 92 525i. While in E mode it doesn't want to go into 2nd, just jumps straight to 3rd. If its in snow mode it will go into second and no lower (like its supposed to), once the car is warmed up. I have took it to a place and the guy told me what he thinks is wrong with it (couldn't really understand as it was over the phone), and that it would cost about 600-800 to fix, as it doesn't involve taking the gearbox off. Can anyone inform me a bit better on what's happening/anything else usefull....

cheers guys

Andrei

hey guys

I got a bit of a problem with my 92 525i. While in E mode it doesn't want to go into 2nd, just jumps straight to 3rd. If its in snow mode it will go into second and no lower (like its supposed to), once the car is warmed up. I have took it to a place and the guy told me what he thinks is wrong with it (couldn't really understand as it was over the phone), and that it would cost about 600-800 to fix, as it doesn't involve taking the gearbox off. Can anyone inform me a bit better on what's happening/anything else usefull....

cheers guys

Andrei

i have a good M50 325i trans if needed $600 cam efrom my car wheni converted it to a 5spd manual.

i have a good M50 325i trans if needed $600 cam efrom my car wheni converted it to a 5spd manual.

cheers mate,

I will keep that in mind if its so ugly that i ever have to swap the box...

Andrei

I'm no BMW expert, but if the transmission works in 2nd gear in other modes, then its clearly an electrical fault.

Might help diagnose the problem. I'm assuming the BMW has a transmission computer somewhere, if thats true I'd try swapping it out first.

I'm no BMW expert, but if the transmission works in 2nd gear in other modes, then its clearly an electrical fault.

Might help diagnose the problem. I'm assuming the BMW has a transmission computer somewhere, if thats true I'd try swapping it out first.

hey, took it to aceomatic today and will have it in to get it checked on wed. guy said there are a few things that could be wrong...but not exactly 100% until they do a check on it. He also said that he is positive that it can be fixed without taking the trany out...and the general cost will be around $600-800. so yeah...sounds alright to me.

I;ll let you know what happens

just thought i would keep you guys up to date.

Turns out it's not fixable without taking the gbox off. They looked in the filter....and there were bits that just arnt supposed to be in there lol. The guy was thinking it might be in the bands...andyway they are taking it off and getting back to me today. Depending on how much they want to fix it i might be looking for another slushbox.

I'll keep u posted

hey

just thought i'd let you know whats happening. As expected bands are kinda buggered lol 1700 to fix or 3300 to rebuil. So its clear, I'm getting a second hand box. Since I'm not in a hurry I'll look around for a couple of days and get one. BTW does anyone know the name (eg the name of my engine is B25M50) of the gearbox

Thats bad luck I have used aceomatic alot through work and they fixed my e34 525 when everyone else said the box was stuffed they replaced check balls in the valve body which are plastic and tend to wear down and shrink causing shift problems.

Good luck finding a good used box

I pesonally would go for the 1700 fix by the time you get a used box and pay to install it you wont save much if any and at least if they fix it you know what you have and its got new oil etc.

Hey if you still after a transmission, i've just purchased a 91 525i as a parts car for my 535, supposedly the transmission has had an o/haul.. around the $3000 mark,just trying to get receipts from previous owner. i have no need for it so put in an offer of how much you'd like to pay. it's still in the car at the moment so could be a week or so before its out though