Sign in to follow this  
Matty

Wanted - simple E46 setup

Heya BMW fans. Just saw a Bimmersport sticker on Dominion Rd tonight (white E30), thought I'd check out the site.

My wife and I recently bought a '00 E46 330i import, I just read about and tried Jochen's tweak but it doesn't work :(

So I might have to contact the man to pick up a ROTW head unit to drop in, I really want to keep the factory appearance rather than a blingy aftermarket HU. Jochen, please email me.

Our car also has a factory CD stacker in the boot, which works fine, but we didn't bing over any CDs when we moved from Aus, just an iPod full of music. Will this stacker work with a ROTW head unit?

Alternatively (preferably), is there a way to hook up the iPod to the factory HU neatly? (eg whatever the setup "hybid" used in his writeup?)

The factory speakers are shite, to put it mildly. Acceptable up high, but nothing down low. Is there an effective replacement (particularly the woofers for more mid-bass) that can be dropped in and work with the oddball factory amp?

Lastly, there's a Kenwood nav system taking up space in the boot (GPS sensor on the dash), any way to put this to good use or should we just rip it out and replace with a Navman or similar?

cheers all, might see you at Galbraiths some time (I work 2 mins walk form there)

matt

Alternatively (preferably), is there a way to hook up the iPod to the factory HU neatly? (eg whatever the setup "hybid" used in his writeup?)

cheers all, might see you at Galbraiths some time (I work 2 mins walk form there)

matt

hey mate ...

You need the Denson ICELINK Plus for the cd replacement.

You will need to buy a converter from your head unit and replace the amps and speakers.

Get a international e46 'philips' manufactred headunit to replace the 'alphine' jap one.

heading to galbraiths tonight ... more than welcome to talk more sh*t then.

Does the iceLink connect to the cable in the boot, with an extension cable to mount the iPod in a more convenient place?

Do you need to set up playlists or can you access all tracks/albums on the iPod?

And has anyone compared it to the DICE kit or Neo iOn-1?

Planning to get a Phillips HU at some point (thanks for the call Jochen).

You will need to buy a converter from your head unit and replace the amps and speakers.

Please elaborate - is this only if I want to upgrade the speakers?

The BSW kit sounds like a nice option which is plug and play and presumably impedance-matched...

Does the iceLink connect to the cable in the boot, with an extension cable to mount the iPod in a more convenient place?

Do you need to set up playlists or can you access all tracks/albums on the iPod?

And has anyone compared it to the DICE kit or Neo iOn-1?

Planning to get a Phillips HU at some point (thanks for the call Jochen).

Please elaborate - is this only if I want to upgrade the speakers?

The BSW kit sounds like a nice option which is plug and play and presumably impedance-matched...

Yeap you remove your cd stacker and plugin the cable to your existing stacker cable.

I removed my old jap coin holder and built the denson ipod carrier into the holder (interesting we mod hehe)

Posted Image

nah the neo didnt really impress me at the time. but im sure it has changed since.

Exactly what you've said the impedence and signal out put to the amps are proprietary to BMW. You can get aftermarket converters for them, which I'm kind of considering myself. but not till after the e30 is finished.

the BSW stuff looks the bizz :)