Sign in to follow this  
a13antichrist

E39 newbie - what do I need to know?

So I saw what appears to have been a fantastic deal on a 97 528 - I'm keeping my e36 coupe though. I've read over that ultimate E39 guide, picked up a few bits & pieces, and am looking forward to getting intimate with the new toy. However if y'all could provide some general ideas of what I should expect, and watch out for, in particular problems that the current owner may or may not have been anticipating for that sale, that would be much appreciated.

Also, wheels: I'm assuming 5x120 is what I need? Does offset matter and is there any other parameter that needs to match, or is 5x120 enough? Further, the existing alloys aren't too bad but I'm thinking I'll replace them - any pics of what people think are the hottest set for an E39 are most welcome. :)

Leather seats: This one has cloth; I called the parts place in Papakura & they reckoned 1300 per seat :/ Can I realistically hope to do better than this?

Trim: Has wood interior; is replacing it with the titanium look practical or silly expensive?

Body: without a doubt the M-kit improves the look 500%. Is this going to be insanely expensive? the front already looks to be non-standard, so just the M rear bumper may go a long way. Are they somewhat obtainable or not even worth looking for?

Thanks all for your tips :)

Leather seats: This one has cloth; I called the parts place in Papakura & they reckoned 1300 per seat :/ Can I realistically hope to do better than this?

Trim: Has wood interior; is replacing it with the titanium look practical or silly expensive?

1300 per seat ... f*** that .. just get the whole car redone for about 2500 ... much beter leather than stock.

27 MacKelvie Grey Lynn

PO Box 78117 Grey Lynn Auckland

NEW ZEALAND......................................... +64 +9 376 4442

Freephone: 0800 RETRO 4U (0800 738 764)

Phone: +64 +9 376 4442

Fax: +64 +9 376 6267

office@retrovehicle.co.nz

and give precision autowerks a call .. they do your trim in titanium graphite for good prices.

If you want the look .. 19's ... 18's will still look good though .. 8.5's up front and 10's for the rear. 40 offset. and a mesh design / dished will look great.

kitting it with mtech / m5 parts aint cheap .. but you can get stuff from overseas way cheaper. try some of the e39 forums for the look ... its what I did before just buying parts for the 330i ... I knew exactly how I wanted the car to look .. and researched until I got what I wanted.

The M parrallels that came on the E39 M5 would be my pick for wheels,I dont think you will be wanting wheels with 40 mm offset tho 10 20 would be pretty standard for a e 39 I would have thought.The price for genuine M5 wheels would be fairly steep though

Cheers for the tips dude.. not totally sure what you mean by "meshed" design though.. I have seen these which look like a possibility: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...on-98763576.htm

So I can be sure that any 5x120 with 40 (and 35?) offset will be sweet?

Just missed a group buy on bimmerforums for the M bumper at $US380.. would like to get hold of one for less than that even. The P39 group buy is tempting too but the shipping is a bitch. :/

Hi,

Congrats on the e39 purchase. I am also new to this board and have an e39 5281 ACS. I find this site really helpful: www.bmwtips.com There ius also a link through to the e39 roadfly forum (predominantly US based) which is a great resource for searching on just about anything to do with your e39.

Simon

congrats on the purchase, what do you think of these wheels? The Z3 wheel is available in 18" and has been a great seller for us. you will want a 10-20offset for your 5 series ( up to 25 at the rear depending on width). Also have a BBS type wheel in 19", available in black and silver as well as chrome

post-1835-1178777409_thumb.jpg

post-1835-1178777427_thumb.jpg

post-1835-1178777576_thumb.jpg

congrats on the purchase, what do you think of these wheels? The Z3 wheel is available in 18" and has been a great seller for us.

You know what, those do look pretty sweet.. I would be looking at 18s tops, what are those running at these days? Not a fan of the third pic wheels though..

You know what, those do look pretty sweet.. I would be looking at 18s tops, what are those running at these days? Not a fan of the third pic wheels though..

the 19's are an acquired taste, look a whole lot different in silver with a machined lip though,

The 18's range in price depending on what type of tyre you want to go for, but expect change from $2500, cheers

just make sure you dont get wheels that have the wrong offset ... else you just end up with the 'umbrella' look .. the wheels should be almost flush with the guards. (check my sig)

What you need are some AC Schnitzer wheels

post-1498-1179050845_thumb.jpgpost-1498-1179050870_thumb.jpg

My dads got some on his 540 Schnitzer, look mint of E39's

post-1498-1179050940_thumb.jpg

You know what, you're not wrong.. either that or a nice set of Stillettos.. I'm wondering what either of these would look like:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=99103641

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=99319108

Oh and there are some ACs there too - only 17s though.

post-1498-1179050845_thumb.jpgpost-1498-1179050870_thumb.jpg

My dads got some on his 540 Schnitzer, look mint of E39's

post-1498-1179050940_thumb.jpg

Is that a standard front bumper with what type of lip?

Is that a standard front bumper with what type of lip?

Its a standard bumper with the Schnitzer lip spoiler. They all came like that

now those 17's on trade me would look great!!

You know what, you're not wrong.. either that or a nice set of Stillettos.. I'm wondering what either of these would look like:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=99103641

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=99319108

Oh and there are some ACs there too - only 17s though.

None of these will work, :( all 3sets are the wrong offset. I have plenty of replica wheels in stock at the moment in both 17" and 18"

Edited by zenetti

remember too that 5 series BMW are not light cars.heavy car/low profile tyres/pothole= bent rim

youll be fine at 18inch with a 35 or 40 profile

youll be fine at 18inch with a 35 or 40 profile

I am st the moment organising a brand new set of OEM M Parallel wheels from USA, I am about to organise a container from Los Angeles, If you want pick some wheels, and we can go halves with freight?

It takes about 14 days to get here for $500NZ

These are the wheels Im snapping up:

http://www.bmwwheels.com/bmwwheels_detail....&Series=E39

I also got some Conti's Contact sport / 225 front and 265 rear for $800 USD - here they cost $800 each tyre!!

Check out these sites too:

http://www.thewheelexchange.com/

http://www.lakeshorewheelandtire.com/bmw/bmw-mparallel.shtml

Let me know if your interested

post-1554-1179126928_thumb.jpg

post-1554-1179127080_thumb.jpg

I am st the moment organising a brand new set of OEM M Parallel wheels from USA, I am about to organise a container from Los Angeles, If you want pick some wheels, and we can go halves with freight?

Let me know if your interested

So we're talking the price of the wheels + 250? Sounds tempting. I would probab;y go for these: http://www.bmwwheels.com/bmwwheels_detail....&Series=E39

I've always liked them.. only available through them as 17s though. Seems like it would be sensible to get some more buyers in on this too..

I know its all just a matter of personal preference, but I nearly lose my lunch when I see chromies on a BMW or Merc.

I do think wheel choice is dependant on what you want from your car. If you want comfort - stick with the factory 16s, if you want looks, go to 17s or 18s (at the expense of ride comfort normally). If you're purely after having people lose their lunch when they see your car - go 19" chromies!! :) if that's not enough - put some spinners on too!! ;)

Edited by Rog

I know its all just a matter of personal preference, but I nearly lose my lunch when I see chromies on a BMW or Merc.

Who's talkin' bout chromes here?

entscheidend, what's the silver pic you posted? It bascially has the exact mods I'm wanting to do to mine - mirrors, bumpers, headlights, wheels, rear lip spoiler.