Sign in to follow this  
drifty325i

V8 Swap issues

So does a BMW 2002 if you wanted to keep it in the family (it has dual boosters, to be precise - stupid system), and a couple of the dudes with race cars have just removed theirs, so you might actually be able to find a set.

I wonder if this dual system was to give the rear brakes some force?

The front calipers on 2002 are 4 pot. 1 booster works the rear brakes & 1 set of front pots on both sides. The other booster works the remaining front pots. Sort of a safety thing. I should have some 2002 boosters, but they'd need to be overhauled. (after all they're about 35 years old)

The idea behind a dual master cylinder was to give some assurance that you would have brakes to at least 2 wheels if one circuit was damaged. Most earlier cars had single cylinders braking all 4 wheels, but, if one wheel cylinder failed, you had no brakes.

In the remote booser system, you use a single cylinder at the pedal which goes to the remote booster. The input side of the booster has the single slave cylinder which is activated by the cylinder at the pedal. On the other side of the booster, you simply put the cylinder you want to use to activate the brakes, making sure that the stroke of the booster is sufficient to fully activate this master cylinder!!!

Some early e30's had master cylinders with differing bores for each circuit. The effect of this was to provide differing braking efforts to the individual circuits. Thankfully, they have abandoned this practice now... was a pain in the butt as you couldn't get kits for them, only a complete master cylinder which was appropriately priced to make the $tealer wealthy!!

So you can quite comfortably run a single master cylinder to operate your brakes, you will just have to plumb in all the lines and ensure that the master cylinder is properly sized to deal with the slave cylinders.

Edited by gomtorr

The front calipers on 2002 are 4 pot. 1 booster works the rear brakes & 1 set of front pots on both sides. The other booster works the remaining front pots. Sort of a safety thing. I should have some 2002 boosters, but they'd need to be overhauled. (after all they're about 35 years old)

Ive heard these are mega bucks to overhaul?

another option that ive almost been convinced on it getting a mk11 golf booster and mounting it 60mm to the left in the glove box, with the factory e30 master cylinder poking out the new hole. ive seen photos of it done on a 4.0l bmw v8 powered e30 and it looks like the way to go. very tidy, good braking power and it all mounts up together with no new brake lines etc

Ive heard these are mega bucks to overhaul?

another option that ive almost been convinced on it getting a mk11 golf booster and mounting it 60mm to the left in the glove box, with the factory e30 master cylinder poking out the new hole. ive seen photos of it done on a 4.0l bmw v8 powered e30 and it looks like the way to go. very tidy, good braking power and it all mounts up together with no new brake lines etc

Ive decided to mount a mk11 golf booster in behind the glove box now, and have it mounted 60mm to the left of the factory mount.