Sign in to follow this  
drifty325i

V8 Swap issues

Hey we are pretty much 90% through the v8 swap and everything is looking great.

But need info on options for the brake booster as the factory one fouls the side of v8, we have around

200mm width by around 110mm deep to play with and thats offset about 40mm from the factory booster

mount to the left

Now a few people use the e21 unit, is this remote mount? or does it fit where the factory e30 mounts?

What are options on remote mounts ?

Any info on this would be awesome.

Heres the only pick i have to give you an idear of how much room ive got

post-204-1178775060_thumb.jpg

post-204-1178775113_thumb.jpg

post-204-1178775136_thumb.jpg

PM me mate .. and ill give you my cell number .... we can have a chat. Its a bit of a discussion ...

Ill measure up our setup later on tomorrow and give you some figures.

that radiators tiny dude! tidy it up ! haha

talking with will, remote booster seems to be the way to go..look at what the US and UK guys have done re the s50 swap

Remote booster is the easy way out however not the only way ...

I'll be home tonight (for once) and ill photo the engine bay as it stands with the new booster / master cylinder bro ...

The audi 88 / vs 25mm master cynlinder, MKII golf 1.3 booster combo will work just I need to know how far your rocker cover comes across .. as the s50 intake plenium location may be infact not as wide as yours ... Just talking to brendon last night, you really can move it more than 40mm across ...

the v8 e34 used a different booster than the I6s for clearance....maybe some help??

Remote booster is the easy way out however not the only way ...

I'll be home tonight (for once) and ill photo the engine bay as it stands with the new booster / master cylinder bro ...

The audi 88 / vs 25mm master cynlinder, MKII golf 1.3 booster combo will work just I need to know how far your rocker cover comes across .. as the s50 intake plenium location may be infact not as wide as yours ... Just talking to brendon last night, you really can move it more than 40mm across ...

Sweet ,thanks thats a big help! and the photo would help us alot to ! Ill go down and get some detailed photos at lunch for your reference

the v8 e34 used a different booster than the I6s for clearance....maybe some help??

Yes ive been looking into that, that may be an option as well. cheers

that radiators tiny dude! tidy it up ! haha

talking with will, remote booster seems to be the way to go..look at what the US and UK guys have done re the s50 swap

haha its 4inchs wider than the m20 one!

Remote boosters look ugly but its an option

further to this .. watch how many outputs the booster has if you after just a direct replacement, we are running a t junction for ours. Also if your setup has ABS or not .. (pray it doesnt) its a bitch otherwise. We are bending up our own metal lines also but this is easy with about $100 worth of tools.

further to this .. watch how many outputs the booster has if you after just a direct replacement, we are running a t junction for ours. Also if your setup has ABS or not .. (pray it doesnt) its a bitch otherwise. We are bending up our own metal lines also but this is easy with about $100 worth of tools.

No ABS :)

I would try to get rid of the linkage that transfers the braking effort to the passenger side. You will get rid of all the play introduced by that system. I have a lhd e30 and is amazing how solid the pedal is on the lhd due to the pedal being directly to the booster/cylinder.

Remote boosters can be mounted anywhere, I had an Anglia (many years ago!) and mounted the booster under the fender.. also had to relocate the master cylinders for the clutch and brake to inside the car above the pedals due to fitting large sidedraught carbs to it.

Having ABS is on the E30 is not an issue as far as the master cylinder goes, although the abs pump and plumbing may take up a bit more valuable engine space.

I cant really tell that well from the photo's but it doesnt look at bad for space if you were considering the golf booster.

The reason we went with the setup that we have is also because the euro S50b32 or e36 M3 evo engine has a rather large intake plenum and the master cylinder as well as the booster hits the plenum. So we needed a smaller booster and master cylinder as well as maintaining a decent amount of braking pressure for the 6 pot wilwood rapists on the front.

Now your situation is a bit different in that you only really need to get the booster out of the way. This presents you with a whole lot more options than we have/had. You can retain the standard E30 master cylinder or upgrade to a 23.8mm E30 M3 MC or a 25mm E32 750i MC which will all work with the standard booster and save you a lot of cash where it may not need to be spent.

Now your options in regards to boosters:

Posted Image

The Golf 1.3 mkII or Renault Clio servo (booster) on the left (also Golf MkI GTI or Porsche 944 are pretty much the same) versus the standard E30 one. You can tell there's quite a difference there in size (believe me it still boosts enough). However this booster requires a slight mod to the actuator rod of the standard master cylinder to reach the booster, not a big deal. Now this can be moved over an additional 57mm toward the outside of the car. Which in total will be around 4 inches all up and should be more than enough for you. Moving it over is not quite as easy but I can tell you exactly how as I will be doing it too.

Another option is to use the 325 IX booster and master cylinder which is basically a straight bolt on, but this will probably still need to be moved over too

There's also the E23 hydrulic booster option:

Posted Image

But the way I see it, either do it as cheaply as you can, or go the whole hog and rip out the battery tray and install a custom setup on the right hand side with no cross linkage.

I will update this post when I get a bit more time :rolleyes:

Heres some picks so you guys can see what im talking bout :)

post-204-1178853205_thumb.jpg

post-204-1178853219_thumb.jpg

post-204-1178853229_thumb.jpg

post-204-1178853239_thumb.jpg

post-204-1178853248_thumb.jpg

post-204-1178853260_thumb.jpg

yeah ... you have way less room than us... It might be remote boosters for you ? or the hydrylic booster option may fit ?

yeah ... you have way less room than us... It might be remote boosters for you ? or the hydrylic booster option may fit ?

Thats what im thinking, Ben whos doing all the fab work thinks a remote booster is the way.

Alot of people use hillman avenger remote boosters, or boosters from vans but i cant find any

at this stage

I should say Hillman hunter remote booster not avenger

Early Alfas had remote ones too, that is what I put in the Anglebox.

Early Alfas had remote ones too, that is what I put in the Anglebox.

Ill look into tate as well! cheers

O.k. so looking a little lost for space there.... without seeing it in person I couldnt say whether or not you'd get the golf sized booster (about 7" diameter) in there if it was moved as far as it could go. Being a V8 it's gonna be the same on the drivers side so either way you might as well start looking at what you can do about remote setup's.

So you could do either the E23 hydraulic booster setup (or similar/aftermarket) moved over the extra 50-60mm (this would probably end up being the cheapest and its not very hard to move the setup over), or customized on the drivers side with no linkage. Putting anything on the drivers side is gonna end up requiring some pedal box customization or replacement and you're still gonna have the space issue. You may even be looking at replacing your clutch master cylinder to something that mounts differently so you can do the brake linkage properley. Hence why this will probably not be an easy or cheap way to go.

Alternatively there is always the option of completely not running a booster and customizing the linkage to the master cylinder so that it wouldnt be too hard to stamp on the brake pedal and retain decent braking ability. This has been done by guys in the states on their E30's. I would say you'd still have to move it over but moving it is not too much of a mission.

Having been under the dash and having a look at the linkage, it wouldnt be impossible to have a setup under the dash and just remote mount the reservior(s) back into the engine bay. Again though, a normal vacuum booster is not so practical there so a hydraulic one would be needed i would say.

Edited by Assault

O.k. so looking a little lost for space there.... without seeing it in person I couldnt say whether or not you'd get the golf sized booster (about 7" diameter) in there if it was moved as far as it could go. Being a V8 it's gonna be the same on the drivers side so either way you might as well start looking at what you can do about remote setup's.

So you could do either the E23 hydraulic booster setup (or similar/aftermarket) moved over the extra 50-60mm (this would probably end up being the cheapest and its not very hard to move the setup over), or customized on the drivers side with no linkage. Putting anything on the drivers side is gonna end up requiring some pedal box customization or replacement and you're still gonna have the space issue. You may even be looking at replacing your clutch master cylinder to something that mounts differently so you can do the brake linkage properley. Hence why this will probably not be an easy or cheap way to go.

Alternatively there is always the option of completely not running a booster and customizing the linkage to the master cylinder so that it wouldnt be too hard to stamp on the brake pedal and retain decent braking ability. This has been done by guys in the states on their E30's. I would say you'd still have to move it over but moving it is not too much of a mission.

Having been under the dash and having a look at the linkage, it wouldnt be impossible to have a setup under the dash and just remote mount the reservior(s) back into the engine bay. Again though, a normal vacuum booster is 4not so practical there so a hydraulic one would be needed i would say.

Right im going to look around for a E23 hydraulic booster setup now, sounds like the option to go for as far as fitment,ease and price goes. Seriously thankyou so much for this info its gold! anyone no someone wreaking an e23?......

Guest Denny Crane

Will you be using the "brake bomb?" I've always wondered about this part of the hydraulic setup - the purpose of it being to give you pressure for 3-4 brake pumps while the engine is off

Will you be using the "brake bomb?" I've always wondered about this part of the hydraulic setup - the purpose of it being to give you pressure for 3-4 brake pumps while the engine is off

I no bugger all about this type of brake setup so its all new to me lol. Has anyone doe this setup before? it would be a massive help if someone had instructions

These Fine Little Gems that came from Pomgolia and Oz had inline or remote boosters

Hillman Hunter, Mark 3 Zephyr, AP5 Valiant [valley-ant]

The Hillman Hunter PBR unit is still available new and is relatively cheap

If you have a vacuum problem [cams etc] use an alternator of a diesel with the vacuum pump on the back [i've seen this used on 'Dirt Saloons']

These Fine Little Gems that came from Pomgolia and Oz had inline or remote boosters

If you have a vacuum problem [cams etc] use an alternator of a diesel with the vacuum pump on the back [i've seen this used on 'Dirt Saloons']

So does a BMW 2002 if you wanted to keep it in the family (it has dual boosters, to be precise - stupid system), and a couple of the dudes with race cars have just removed theirs, so you might actually be able to find a set.

The only problem with these setups in an e30 it that it wont brake the rear brakes because its not a twin chamber or something like that ? this is what a few people have told me anyway ?