Sign in to follow this  
irish1

BMW and the Hella Whangarei Rally

Just in case anyones interested I have managed to combine 3 of my interests together. These are BMW's, Motorsport and amateur radio. The Whangarei amateur radio club supplies radio operators for the major rallies in the north as there has to be a radio safety car every 5Kms in a rally stage. These photos were taken in the Wairere and Waipu Gorge stages, unfortunately we were to busy when the cars were running to get any pictures of them.

post-1930-1179110785_thumb.jpg

post-1930-1179110795_thumb.jpg

post-1930-1179110810_thumb.jpg

post-1930-1179110820_thumb.jpg

Ha mint, did your car not get sprayed with the metal as they went past?

Guest Ken

Ha mint, did your car not get sprayed with the metal as they went past?

With all of that mud on it - who would notice! :P

note they are carefully parked on the inside of the corner,the gravel would be spraying the other way :)

if that were me, with my luck, the 2nd car round that corner would take it to fast, counter steer the other way and fly into me and the bmw

Edited by QuickSilver

My brother ran that rally, came second. Watched his in-car last night, whangarei is pretty cool! Co-driver threw up twice! crack up cos they are using that footage on tv soon. He's going to be so gutted.

Cool dude, Good to see you volunteer for stuff like this! How do you fit that in your car?? Does it fold down that far?

Just in case anyones interested I have managed to combine 3 of my interests together. These are BMW's, Motorsport and amateur radio. The Whangarei amateur radio club supplies radio operators for the major rallies in the north as there has to be a radio safety car every 5Kms in a rally stage. These photos were taken in the Wairere and Waipu Gorge stages, unfortunately we were to busy when the cars were running to get any pictures of them.

Unfortunately got a couple of chips on paint, usually when they got the corner wrong.. Pole is made up of different diameter aluminium which fit insde each other and fit in boot. Its lots of fun and we get to see lots of roads around the country yhat very few people have seen.

just cover the car on one side next time with old blankets..

One of my workmates was another radio operator that was there. Darryl Nielsen. You would probably know him - he's tends to be in the thick of things no matter what he does.

Edited by bravo

Whats the beanbag look a like on the roof do, and the point of the lil aerial on the bonnet?

Whats the beanbag look a like on the roof do, and the point of the lil aerial on the bonnet?

The "beanbag" is a spoiler of sorts to restrict air rushing in sunroof when open, made in Germany so guess its some after market thing you can get over there.

Aerial on bonnet is a dual band (vhf/uhf) which stays on car most of the time, in the rally we run 3 different radios on different frequencies, the pole has 2 aerials on it.