Sign in to follow this  
Matty

What does this button do?

There's a couple of buttons below the headlight knob on the right of the steering wheel. Both have similar "headlamp" icons.

Not having an owners manual, I've had to guess at their function.

One turns the fog lights on and off, and the other does.... nothing. I'm guessing it's meant to be for driving lights but why have a switch if there's nothing for it to control?

Prehaps the rear fogs? One has a line on a diagonal, other is straight.

One has a line on a diagonal, other is straight.

That's the ones. One shows the light beams aiming horizontally, and the other shows them aiming down. Both are intersected by a squiggly line.

Haven't looked at the back end of the car, so you might be right.

Will be that yes, leave it off, they are a pain in the ass to follow ha

Will be that yes, leave it off, they are a pain in the ass to follow ha

No sh*t. I hate rear foggies.

Thanks mate.

Edited by Matty

I find them invaluable to ward off tailgaters, press the button at random to feign braking.

Just slow down, cut them off etc, then when they step out at the traffic lights, you step out yourself, then they'll quickly hop back in haha! [Proven!]

Hi, in my 325 there is a little black button above the passenger window opener by the gear stick. It is unmarked but clicks in and out. Any idea what this does?

Hi, in my 325 there is a little black button above the passenger window opener by the gear stick. It is unmarked but clicks in and out. Any idea what this does?

As far as I know it locks the windows, so the switches don't work. Child safety

since were on unkown functions, i have a wheel type thingy above my radio, has 2 symbols on each side and a centre line where its in the middle, what does it do???

since were on unkown functions, i have a wheel type thingy above my radio, has 2 symbols on each side and a centre line where its in the middle, what does it do???

Left to Right speaker balance I think.

Not having an owners manual, I've had to guess at their function.

If you filck me your email address either as a message to me or just here, I will email you the E46 owners manualin PDF format I downloaded ex USA BMW :)

Ron

As far as I know it locks the windows, so the switches don't work. Child safety

Hi, no the wondow lock button is on the other side of the gear stick Edited by GIJoel

Hi, no the wondow lock button is on the other side of the gear stick

4dr vechiles have it on both sides. One side does all 4, other does just rear?!

Left to Right speaker balance I think.

it may be, but it didnt do anything for my speakers, since the head unit is the controller of the balance, anything else it could be?

it may be, but it didnt do anything for my speakers, since the head unit is the controller of the balance, anything else it could be?

Thats what it is for. Prehaps you have an aftermarket HU so it no-longer applies.

More tricks to play around with on your e46 are ....

get out of the car, lock your car with your remote/key

then unlock it while holding down the unlock button after a few seconds your electric windows will open ... same for closing them with the lock button. :)

Mirrors:

You have three memory buttons on the side of the seat, program #1 for your side mirrors in position for normal driving program button #2 for reversing (slightly inwards to see side of car) and program button #3 for your left mirror down so you can see the curb so you dont curb your wheels.

its a life saver! :D

More tricks to play around with on your e46 are ....

get out of the car, lock your car with your remote/key

then unlock it while holding down the unlock button after a few seconds your electric windows will open ... same for closing them with the lock button. :)

Mirrors:

You have three memory buttons on the side of the seat, program #1 for your side mirrors in position for normal driving program button #2 for reversing (slightly inwards to see side of car) and program button #3 for your left mirror down so you can see the curb so you dont curb your wheels.

its a life saver! :D

1 is for the short wife and 3 is for me :)

Flicking the left/right mirror adjust selector to the right (I think, if not, the other way) will make the left mirror dip when you put the car in reverse.

PS is there only 1 rear foglight? Only the right one lights up on my car, does the left one do anything? The bulb looks OK (peering in through the lens as I haven't cracked open the boot lining for a closer look...)

hmmm yeah it doesnt go down far enough to see my wheel unfortunitly and turns on only in reverse .. by that time im already half way through my manuvour, its way fasterme pressing buttons manually ... use 2 and 3 for you .. ;)