Sign in to follow this  
Nobimmer

Still not starting

Ok,car wouldnt start before and so stuck new starter motor in which seemed to be sweet for about a week,

then when a guy came to buy the car...wrote a cheque,done the paperwork...wouldnt f**king start.

Any ideas? it's not always but just occasionally and it picks really bad times to not start eg in tight carparks with no hills etc. However it still starts if you smack the starter with a pole...which was once fun but now is just gay.

I'm thinking it maybe an electrical fault?

HELP!

Cheers

Ashkan

Was it a new or 2nd hand starter ????? these do give problems

If it works after a smack I would say it would be a solinoid from my experiance. You could try taking it apart and cleaning it. Or just bung another one in.

E: hit the wrong button

Edited by Steve K-B

it was second hand,but still working mean like no delay at all,Nath reckons an ex imobiliser,going to try clean relays and see what happens.

Possibly you have worn starter motor brushes - giving it a thump "settles" them but its a temporary fix

Ok,car wouldnt start before and so stuck new starter motor in which seemed to be sweet for about a week,

then when a guy came to buy the car...wrote a cheque,done the paperwork...wouldnt f**king start.

Any ideas? it's not always but just occasionally and it picks really bad times to not start eg in tight carparks with no hills etc. However it still starts if you smack the starter with a pole...which was once fun but now is just gay.

I'm thinking it maybe an electrical fault?

HELP!

Cheers

Ashkan

in my black e30, the starter motor only started when cold. So the first morning start was all good. but as soon as the starter motor warmed up from the engine heat, i would not want to go. Even using jumper cables did not do anything.

The fault was the plastic bushes that bmw use to hold the centreshaft of the starter motor, perished.

I pulled the starter motor apart and took the SM to an auto sparky in Htown. He measured up the size of the bush and put it back together myself. Very easy.

So for $25, i got some brass bushes made up as direct replacements. Instead of buying a new SM.