Sign in to follow this  
charles28

Car taking a while to warm up

When I drive my car around town, eventually it warms up and the temp needle reaches 1/2 way.. however tonight i took it on the open road.. and the temp hardly moved above the Start. wasn't even 1/4 of the way.. this resulted in the heater not producing much heat (annoying when its freezing cold)

I'm assuming the problem is with the Thermostat, it must be letting the coolant go around the radiator all of the time.. this would explain why it didn't heat up much at all on the open road I assume?

So my next question is, how much is a new thermostat, where can I buy one in Christchurch? and is it hard to fit myself? (I can do basic work on cars, like changing sparkplugs, oil, filter etc).

Cheers

You are probably right. Repco does carry new thermostats for some BMW's.. give them a try.

Make sure you fit it properly, because if you have a plastic housing, you can crack it. Its not hard to do once you have the viscous coupling off ( 32mm & L/H thread ) Genuine are about $80....Repco about $40

"Play safe"

Glenn

dont go to repco they rip you off. go somewhere like super cheap. anywhere but repco

again once you have the thermostat and a hopefully non cracked housing, sometimes they have an arrow to stick it up a certain way, i made the mistake of not paying attention and all my water pumped out after a drive.

might be a good time to check the condition of the belts and the water pump too.

Oh and in Christchurch go and see Pete From Eurorec, he is a real good guy and can source plenty of new parts.

I got my water pump ,thermostat and head gasket set + bolts from him all at good prices

dont go to repco they rip you off. go somewhere like super cheap. anywhere but repco

I only suggested Repco... cause I thought he might want to do it today.. not sure if they are open down there tho