Sign in to follow this  
dc2r

Ca18det itnto E30

Hey guys, have been researching the possibility of doing this conversion. Have seen a few Sr20det powered e30s in the build, but i want to do this using a ca18det, reason being i got a complete motor turbo loom ecu for cheap. just gotta find me a 5 speed conversion, would rather ca18det because i havent heard of one done before, ca18dets are cheap, light make good power and i like the revability of the 1.8, and being able to use parts off the sr20det makes it a good option.

As far as i know, the guys who go the sr route use modified engine mounts, and modified driveshafts using e30 diffs, i read that lexus v8 mounts and modifed crossmember works too.

My plan would be to get the ca18 all mounted wired and running at this stage, so no big mods untill the car is fully running. Plan to do things on a budget, and have everything roughly planned out.

I think a ca18det with t25/ maybe t28, rb20det afm, 2.5' exhaust front mount, and intake, and boost controller would make nice power, in a decent chassis like the e30... anything beats the pos 6banger in there atm.

If anyone has advice n how i would go about this, what i need, i cant see the sr ca being too much different, so if anyones done this, any help would be much appreciated. :D

google, ca18det bmw,

post-1118-1180949814_thumb.jpg

darren did the ca18 before he put in the sr20...

not a bad idea, been done a fair bit research it up. a fair bit of work but hey, its not that bad.

Sounds like a cool swap, nissan powerplants are awways a good start !

A good way to start would be to speak to your local vechicle certifier

At the end of the day you will need to get a cert anyway so why not get

some good advice for doing the swap, plus he will have good ways to measure things

up for fitting the engine and good imformation on driveshaft angles and engine mounts

Also if you read up on the LVVTA website you might get some good idea's too

hopefully this helps

I would like to do a vg30dett into an e28 <_<

darren did the ca18 before he put in the sr20...

not a bad idea, been done a fair bit research it up. a fair bit of work but hey, its not that bad.

Cheers guys, i know its not gona be easy, and with projects theres always little suprises, Havent dont a project, and planning on having this as a long term one, as ive already got a daily, i have access to cheap parts, engineer, mates an autosparky and a few mechanics t add to the mix. only constraint is money, but im planned it all out with budget for everything, more satsaifcation being build rather then brought :D

The gus- whos Darren? he on this forums, would like to ask him a few questions, ive been googling abit and joined up to bimmerforums.com so hopefully someone would have done it...

Search Sr20 swap on here - about 8 members have done it.

Or just buy a 318is turb... :P

Lol thanks, but i prefer build not brought.

Have read through a couple of sr threads on here and got some info.

not a lotta info..just get the engine/box and the car and start dummy fitting and custom making stuff till it fits

would much rather go the 318iS turbo though..10k (which you will probably spend half of anyway) and its a bmw engine, and probably more powerful? has motec!

not a lotta info..just get the engine/box and the car and start dummy fitting and custom making stuff till it fits

would much rather go the 318iS turbo though..10k (which you will probably spend half of anyway) and its a bmw engine, and probably more powerful? has motec!

It also has Tartan Seats. Which should be a selling point on its own.

It also has Tartan Seats. Which should be a selling point on its own.

Im not too fussed with interiors etc, and as i said i dont have 10k out right to purchase a car like that, and would rather build my own.

Im not too fussed with interiors etc, and as i said i dont have 10k out right to purchase a car like that, and would rather build my own.

Good luck and post up some pics of the build :)