Sign in to follow this  
international

Need Advice

I have been looking at mags for my E36 currently riding on 205/60/15...yes very suxy I know so its time for a change...

Ive been looking at a set of 18"...to be more accurate...215/?/18 front and 240/?/18...are those 240s too wide for my rear?

Referring back to the BMW manual it says the maximum wheels for my E36 are 235/40/17...so...an extra 5mm should be all good?

Thanks in advance...

I have been looking at mags for my E36 currently riding on 205/60/15...yes very suxy I know so its time for a change...

Ive been looking at a set of 18"...to be more accurate...215/?/18 front and 240/?/18...are those 240s too wide for my rear?

Referring back to the BMW manual it says the maximum wheels for my E36 are 235/40/17...so...an extra 5mm should be all good?

Thanks in advance...

240's aren't really all good. Gonna definitely rub against somethin' when you lower your ride.... but it can be done with Camber adjustment, harder shocks, Guard rolling, interior Plastic guard removal, and no fat chicks/heavy brotha's allowed.

240's aren't really all good. Gonna definitely rub against somethin' when you lower your ride.... but it can be done with Camber adjustment, harder shocks, Guard rolling, interior Plastic guard removal, and no fat chicks/heavy brotha's allowed.

Oh chur bro...

My other "cheaper" options is wacking on a 190/?/18 which is bloody narrow you know I mean? but freaking heck...where do you get 190 tyres? the closes are 185 and 195...so what to go for? Ive seen people run wide with slightly narrower tyres...look fine but are there any issues doing that?

Thanks bro~

With the right offset and a bit of guardrollin you should be all good.

Try to find a 18x8 with a et40mm offset to sit them in the guards. et35 will probably cause trouble.

Can you get a 235 tyre for the back? would have to be a low profile to keep the correct tyre height.

Front should be all good.

E36s came with up to 245 tyres fitted on the rear so yea...

Try to find a 18x8 with a et40mm offset to sit them in the guards. et35 will probably cause trouble.

Can you get a 235 tyre for the back? would have to be a low profile to keep the correct tyre height.

Word. No problems wit 240 on tha da Fronts.

I wont be lowering...make it that I cant lower my ride due to the location of my crib...bloody drive way...if I lower it...my car will make love to the concrete day and night...ye...so next time you see a red BIMMER with some 18" unlowered...pumping bass...you'll know its me...

oh ye bro...Im not all that clear on offsets...done some research but still fairly unlike as to what the offset of a BMW should be...and if I do upgrade to some 18" will my offsets need to be adjusted or not? If so...to what settings?

Chur bo~

Offsets apply to the wheels just make sure you get the correct ones

Offsets apply to the wheels just make sure you get the correct ones

To maintain handling characteristics and avoid undue loads on bushings and balljoints, the car maker's original offset should be maintained when choosing new wheels unless there are overriding clearance issues.

Wheels are usually stamped with their offset using the German prefix "ET", meaning "Einpresstiefe" or, literally, "insertion depth". An example would be "ET45" for a 45mm offset.

Calculating the offset of a wheel is a fairly easy mathematical equation. First, measure the overall width of the wheel (remember, just because a wheel is 18x7.5, does not mean that the OVERALL width is 7.5â€. It means that the measurement from outboard flange to the inboard flange is 7.5â€). Next, divide that width of the wheel by two; this will give you the centerline of the wheel.

Overall width/2 = Centerline

After determining the centerline, measure from the mounting pad to the edge of the inboard flange (if the wheel were laying flat on the ground – face up – your measurement would be from the ground to the mounting pad). This is your back spacing.

Centerline – Back Spacing = Offset in Inches

Inches x 25.4 = Offset in mm

This?

Just looking at the final tyres that I would use...225/40/18s front and 245/40/18 rear...hopefully should be all good if I dont lower?

Edited by international

use 245/35/18 in the back so the rolling diameter is the same. Are the rims staggered?

Thats it. Offset is the distance the mating surface of the wheel is, from the centreline of the wheel.

So on a 18x8 call size wheel you want an offset between (et)35-40 mm for an e36 fitment.

Closer to 40mm is probably better for a tall wheel with a 245 tyre.

245/35/18 is a better size for your rear.

Maybe a 225/40/18 all round might be a better idea???

Edited by westy

Thats it. Offset is the distance the mating surface of the wheel is, from the centreline of the wheel.

So on a 18x8 call size wheel you want an offset between (et)35-40 mm for an e36 fitment.

Closer to 40mm is probably better for a tall wheel with a 245 tyre.

245/35/18 is a better size for your rear.

Maybe a 225/40/18 all round might be a better idea???

yup...advice taken onboard...your sound advice of having 225/40/18 sounds good...thinking about the cost of tyres in the future...really troubles me at times...being a poor student...earning every single penny is hard...

Would it be hard to source 225/40/18 tyres?

hey mate

225/40/18's would definitely be the way to go, depending on what size rim you go for you can fit up to a 255/35/18 on the rear. we have done heaps of BMW's at work (over 100) incl lowering and never have any rubbing issues. Obviously a 255/35 rear tyre is a lot more expensive than a 225/40. I would only run a 255 on the back if you are going to run a staggered wheel fitment ie 8" wide at the fornt and 9" wide at the rear. If you are going to run a 245/40 your car will look funny as the 245/40 is taller than a 225/40.

You can safely run a 35et wheel at 8" wide at the front, if you want to go wider (8.5") then you will need a higher offset. The widest tyre I would recommend is a 225/40 at the front. On E36 318's we tend to recommend a 215/40/18 all the way round as they are relatively gutless and do not really need a wider tyre.

hope this all helps, if you want give me a call at work on 5801371 if you need more help, cheers

hey mate

225/40/18's would definitely be the way to go, depending on what size rim you go for you can fit up to a 255/35/18 on the rear. we have done heaps of BMW's at work (over 100) incl lowering and never have any rubbing issues. Obviously a 255/35 rear tyre is a lot more expensive than a 225/40. I would only run a 255 on the back if you are going to run a staggered wheel fitment ie 8" wide at the fornt and 9" wide at the rear. If you are going to run a 245/40 your car will look funny as the 245/40 is taller than a 225/40.

You can safely run a 35et wheel at 8" wide at the front, if you want to go wider (8.5") then you will need a higher offset. The widest tyre I would recommend is a 225/40 at the front. On E36 318's we tend to recommend a 215/40/18 all the way round as they are relatively gutless and do not really need a wider tyre.

hope this all helps, if you want give me a call at work on 5801371 if you need more help, cheers

Thanks for that information...seen that you drive a E36...what rims do you have at the moment?

Can 18x7.5 mags fit 225/40/18 tyres?

those wheels were 19 x 8.5 with a 225/35/19, I have actually sold that car to a guy in tauranga but am on the look out for a new one. Currently driving a 96 VR4 manual twin turbo. 225's will be sweet on a 7.5" wide rim. Just out of interest what price have you been quoted? we import all our own wheels so I am sure we hook you up an awesome deal. we have quite a few wheels in stock, which you are welcome to come and have a look at.

those wheels were 19 x 8.5 with a 225/35/19, I have actually sold that car to a guy in tauranga but am on the look out for a new one. Currently driving a 96 VR4 manual twin turbo. 225's will be sweet on a 7.5" wide rim. Just out of interest what price have you been quoted? we import all our own wheels so I am sure we hook you up an awesome deal. we have quite a few wheels in stock, which you are welcome to come and have a look at.

Just under 2K with Goodyear Eagle...

Im still open with options...still waiting for the school holidays before I buy so...yea

You got a website or something? Appreciate your offer...What I like is...something with deep dish, polished lip and something that exposes a lot of brake flesh~ :D

Cheers~

Just under 2K with Goodyear Eagle...

Im still open with options...still waiting for the school holidays before I buy so...yea

You got a website or something? Appreciate your offer...What I like is...something with deep dish, polished lip and something that exposes a lot of brake flesh~ :D

Cheers~

website is www.magandtyredirect.com, bit basic at the moment, it is due for a big upgrade. Have more stuff arriving in the next months

on my e36 currently i have 255's at the back, and 225's up front 18's

Posted Image

Edited by Docile

Standard fitment on an E 36 - M3 is 225 on a 7.5 rim on the front and 245 on an 8.5 on the back, this combo works really well.

don't M3 BMW's run different offsets and suspensions setup's to normal BMW's? I know that the E46 definitely runs different offsets. Just a question ( and not trying to stir any pot) because if this is the case then why compare to a normal E36 or E46.

and yes I realise you can run staggered fitments on 'normal' E36's. Also 225/45/17's and 255/40/17's are same rolling diameter. so why would BMW spec a slightly lower tyre on the rear for an M3

noob question...

would 225/45/17 tyres stretch onto a 9inch wide rim on and e36, would this cause rubbing issues etc?

elaborating on the lower tyre a 225/45 and 255/40 are the same overall diameter. A 245/40 is slighly lower in overall diameter. My question was pertaining as to why BMW would not keep the same 'height' tyre all the way round like as they do on 'lesser' models.

I am postive that an E46 M3 runs 3 series offset on the front and 5 series offset on the rear. Is an E36 not the same?

Also a wider rim generally runs a higher offset to keep it 'tucked under' the guards, E46 M3 obviously being the exception. Would the wider track at the rear affect the handling?

First of all what are you trying to achieve?

My E39 came with 235 / 45's fitted to 9 inch rims on the back and these were "over" stretched handled like sh*t - turn in was poor and the tail waggled like a pissed dog. When we fitted the correct size 255 /40's the car became much sharper and positive in turn in and stable powering out of corners plus more tolerant of road surface conditions.

I am half way setting up my E36 on 7.5 / 8.5 staggered M3 rims and already it is noticably better than 7.5 all round

what i am trying to achieve is that i allready have a set of 225/45/17s basicly new with 2000ks on them, but i want to buy some new wheels. the current wheels on the car do not belong to me so selling them with the tires is not an option.

the wheels i want to buy are 17x8 upfront and 17x9 at the back, so i was wondering if it was possible to fit my current tires to the new wheels. if it is...would it look stupid?

i have always been told (no experience) that staggered setups are for looks and handle worse than having the same size wheel?

Edited by 328imobbin

i have always been told (no experience) that staggered setups are for looks and handle worse than having the same size wheel?

Not necessarily... the fact is just that it will create more understeer. Whether that's good or bad depends on the driver. Some people run staggered setups to create more understeer, some to put down more power at the rear wheels, some for looks as you said.