Sign in to follow this  
martyyn

Temp control for heater matrix

Chaps,

Although the forums are always full of hot air ;) I currently have none in my 90 SA built 325i (with aircon if that makes a difference)

Hot water is flowing into the heater matrix but none is coming out regardless of what position I have the temp gauge set to on the dash. We had the matrix out over the weekend and it was just packed full of sh!tty dark orange water indicating again that nothing was going through it. it soon cleared up but still no warm air in the cabin when it was all put back in again.

So does anyone have one ? I dont know its proper name but it looks a little like a snorkel ! Shouldve taken the part number whilst it was all out :(

Ive learnt the hard way that the SA cars dont always take the 'normal' parts so I dont know if this will be a problem.

Cheers

Martyn

$70 ($365 new)

Regards Ray

0212HELLBM

Thanks Ray,

I have a feeling that there might be two different 'types', one has plastic inlet pipes the other has aluminium inlet pipes. I dont remember which mine has, which one do you have ?

Alternatively do you have the part number so when I pull mine out again I can compare them.

Cheers

Martyn

Did you flow test the matrix ??

Check heater tap ??

Check hoses for aluminium plugs to stop hot water flow....we have found these on many imports out of hot countries

Cheers

Glenn

Flow test.....

If you mean stick a hose on one end and watch it come out the other then yes. It took a good 15 mins of filling the matrix with water and shaking it out before it started to come out the same colour as it went in, but eventually it was cleaned out.

Heater Tap....

Not sure what you mean.

Plugs....

Ive had hot air from the heater before now, it just stopped working a few weeks ago and the engine overheated pretty badly with air locks all through the hoses.

What we did on the weekend was remove and back flush all the hoses to completely clean out any mess (the car had been left sitting for 12 months before I bought it) so initially it was all pretty nasty.

There are no blocks in the hoses and so the only thing left is the solenoid that adjusts to the temp you put on the dial.

We have hot water going into the heater matrix (pipe leading into cabin at firewall) but cold water coming out. My understanding is that this solenoid will block all hot water going through the matrix if I have the dial set to cold. Once I set it to hot then hot water goes through the matrix and should end up returning hot (or at least warm) back through the firewall into the engine bay.

Im willing to try other things if people have suggestions.

The heater tap is between the matrix and the pipes coming out of the fire wall , on the cabin side. Its electronic and it may not be working. You may be getting hot water in, but if it doesnt open you have now flow which = no heat.

You need to check if this is working or not. It should open and close via the dash control.

Hope this helps

Glenn

The heater tap is between the matrix and the pipes coming out of the fire wall , on the cabin side. Its electronic and it may not be working. You may be getting hot water in, but if it doesnt open you have now flow which = no heat.

You need to check if this is working or not. It should open and close via the dash control.

Hope this helps

Glenn

I think thats the piece that Im trying to replace :-)

Ive no idea what its called but it looks like a bit like a snorkel and your description certainly sounds like what Im after.

Stupid question time, but is there a way to test it without taking it out ? Should I be able to hear anything when it opens and closes for example ?

You wont hear a thing...with the problem you have, I'm sure its that. You will need to remove it to confirm it, it could be blocked, seized or electrically faulty. Then again it may not be getting power supply from dash hot / cold switch

You wont hear a thing...with the problem you have, I'm sure its that. You will need to remove it to confirm it, it could be blocked, seized or electrically faulty. Then again it may not be getting power supply from dash hot / cold switch

Well its coming out this weekend so I shall be able to work out whether its the tap or the power.

Thanks for your help fellas.

The water tap is exactly what we are tring to replace because it is naffed!

Hope this helps

Glenn

Have both types.

Aircon or nonaircon.

I`ve sorted three in the last fortnight.

Not an uncommrn problem.

Don`t let the heater core sit with out water for to long, Sealsd will start leaking.

Regards Ray

0212HELLBM