Sign in to follow this  
bravo

Why the Americas Cup should allow multihulls

Try wake boarding behind a trimaran.....

Edited by bravo

Fixed - was crunk when I posted. Mount Gay pwns.

Edited by bravo

Flag that sh*t! Fast though

Edited by Hi Tower

Guest Phil Ken Sebben

If you change the IACC class, you immediately made over 100 yachts obsolete, which is daft in my opinion. Admitedly the current class has been around since 92 (hell, the old red boats are still used daily in the viaduct).

Multihulls have their own race - the JV trophy.

Same with whitbread 60's (are they still called that?) they have the RTW race and other blue water classics to compete in.

Remeber the 88 challenge, wasn't that really fun?

We only have to look at the current drama over swinging keels (fine for long ass ocean bearts to windward where the gains really come into effect) but in a short course race like a 4 leg americas cup, with all the tacking and duelling, their advtange is negated. We will see NZl92 cream SUI100 in the pre starts if indeed its the suiss with bending movement in their keel.

As you know graeme, waterline length = speed, so why not increase the boat size? I remember the Millenium race, and its a real spectacle seeing 120+ ft boats tacking and duelling like they're optimists.

have heard rumors through work that theres guna be some major changes in the class, time will tell i guess!!

would be kool to something like an orma 60 burning up the gulf thou!!

have some video somewhere of a dude caining it on a single ski behind an orma somewhere, il try and dig it up

boss is currently in Velencia, watchin the LV, hes going out on a 142ftr (oh to be the boss - well sorta) with the owner trying our new s/y airbatten system so shuld be good! also the superyacht cup later this week aswell

Sam, TBH I wouldn't want multi hulls in LV or THE CUP (fukn rafts) - for all the same old reasons, but these things are damn fast. Basically the same reasons for the recent changes to F1.

Hydrofoils is the next cool thing (aye Katalyst?) My mate who gave me the above links has built a hydrofoil surfboard and a 2m RC hydrofoil Cat. - way cool.

This would be one awesome charter operation - f**k the ex-cup boats "experience" - get one of these and scare the hell out of your paying passengers. I'd drop a few hundy to go out for a few hours and wakeboard behind one of these. Edited by bravo

Hydrofoils is the next cool thing (aye Katalyst?) My mate who gave me the above links has built a hydrofoil surfboard and a 2m RC hydrofoil Cat. - way cool.

This would be one awesome charter operation - f**k the ex-cup boats "experience" - get one of these and scare the hell out of your paying passengers. I'd drop a few hundy to go out for a few hours and wakeboard behind one of these.

yeah Hydrofoils are kool - the little moths are quite a cool class

would defnitly scare the pants of ppl - oh 2 have a mil or 2 to bring one down here!

i imagine it would cost a lot more than a mere mill or two for those!

tris are only cool as a racing boat...as a real boat they kinda suck (blatant cat plug)

our cat should do 20kts? not bad for an ocean cruiser!

still impressed at the strength of those boats...that much sail and the pressure on those struts from the outrigger in the water must be huge!

That's what I reckon. All those forces on the wee outrigger hydrofoil.

Your right about practicality - we're not talking that though are we? Its like saying Michael Delmonts 2002 isn't the best for taking the kids out for a bit of supermarket shopping.

This would be one awesome charter operation - f**k the ex-cup boats "experience" - get one of these and scare the hell out of your paying passengers. I'd drop a few hundy to go out for a few hours and wakeboard behind one of these.

Wouldn't want to bail too often, I can imagine it would be a pain in the ass to turn around and pick you up

Well, seeing as you would prob need a chase boat to get you started (as in the video), that prob solved. I imagine getting into the water at that speed on one of those would be a tad tricky.