Sign in to follow this  
ThreeOneEight

E30 Factory Glass Sunroof?

As above, I want one! Saw a picture of one once a long time ago- works like the normal sliding metal item most E30s have, but made of glass. So I take it they exist, but very rare... anybody else ever seen one?

Guest Phil Ken Sebben

Yes, a rare option, unavailible here I think, so any car with one here will be an import.

Apparently yes, but someone was thinking of getting a perspex one fabricated with metal sunroof parts. That'd probably be easier than finding a glass one, if even poss in nz

Edited by Hi Tower

If searching for one, try keyword "moonroof".

Edited by bravo

Can give you my mates number who quoted another person to make a perspex sunroof with metal clips etc.

Think he said round about $250 cash mates rates.

PM if interested.

I had a factory moonroof in a wreck I once had. I couldn't give it away. They do not fit into the standard metal sunroof hole and cars fitted with them don't use the normal roof lining either.

seen a few...kinda got over it pretty quick

Guest Phil Ken Sebben

I had a factory moonroof in a wreck I once had. I couldn't give it away. They do not fit into the standard metal sunroof hole and cars fitted with them don't use the normal roof lining either.

Not a factory one then. It WAS a factory option - the genuine BMW ones fit in a stock slot.

Not a factory one then. It WAS a factory option - the genuine BMW ones fit in a stock slot.

It was a factory option alright, it is longer than the regular sunroof requiring a completey new roof panel to be fitted to the body during manufacture of the shell.

Yea I've seen a build thread where someone put a glass one into a normal steel sunroof slot- only had to change the headlining from memory- could be wrong though. The normal E30 sunroof is a Webasto item so perhaps something they made/still make fits into the slot. Thinking it might be a bad idea for headroom, though. Anyone over 6ft almost touches the roof in the back of an E30, and I'm not friends with short people...

Yea I've seen a build thread where someone put a glass one into a normal steel sunroof slot- only had to change the headlining from memory- could be wrong though. The normal E30 sunroof is a Webasto item so perhaps something they made/still make fits into the slot. Thinking it might be a bad idea for headroom, though. Anyone over 6ft almost touches the roof in the back of an E30, and I'm not friends with short people...

I think anyone who sits in the back of a E30 nearly has thier head touching the roof. I do want one of thses glass sunroofs though. But not so much at the cost of a arm and a leg knowing its rarity.

Three one eight, give these guys a try in CHCH, I used them to make a complex perspex mount for a boost controller. The work is excellent and inexpensive:

Award Plastics Ltd

03-374 5500

42 Wordsworth St Sydenham Christchurch

Edited by subieboy

Or try Acryform.I dont have their number on me but if your seriously interested PM me.will be able to work something out for you.

Thanks for all the offers of plastic fabricator recommendations, but call me Mr Fussy; I want glass. Rain sounds cooler on it, and it doesn't scratch/discolour or have audible 'boom' like plastic glazing can.