Sign in to follow this  
Nobimmer

Go Kart Idea

I have just acquired a little go kart shell with no motor.Everything is there apart from a motor/driveline etc.I got it for free and had a few ideas.

Would it be easier to just sell it as is and get the money towards a new car.

Or

My idea was to put in a 125cc two stroke motor bike engine into it(which I can have lined up for a fair price (under 600 for the whole bike).What I need to know is would it be an easy enough task.All I can imagine in my thick arse head is that I would need custom motor mounts (obviuosly incorporating the ones from the bike),strengthened rear axle,and to drive it...just weld (and a whole lot of it) the rear cog(?) from the back wheel of the bike onto the centre of the rear axle of the go kart.Then weld up a plate around it to protect it etc.

Would this work and would it last?I can imagine it working then snapping after a few thrashings.Essentially being a badass locked diff without one actually being there.I have also sussed how the gear shifter would fit into the kart using a bit of steel and getting a bike mech/someone whos more onto it than me(majority of people) to line up the pivots for the shifter of the gearbox.Clutch would be same idea I am guessing but would need to run some lines.The bike I had lined up is Oil cooled and therefore wouldnt need any kind of forced cooling ie radiator(please confirm)I would also have to have the motor on an angle to be able to make up and exhaust of some sort.

You guys think it would be worth doing for what I would have to spend (round a grand).I can imagine it being a sh*t load of fun and power-weight would be ridiculously awesome(kart weighs about 50kg...estimate).

Any feedback appreciated

Ashkan

Go to Mt Wellington or Patiki racetracks and check out the karts.

They have bike motors and geared classes.

Insanely fast.

Haha I can imagine,and hence the post...am VERY interested in doing this just need to know if theres anything I need to know before I throw out hard earned $

just do some research on the net about building a go kart, you have the right ingredients, but when you are going to be spending over a grand on building it you want to be able to use it (on a track or in a racing class) so you might as well make sure it's all legal to be able to do that.

My flatmate is just finishing his Go-Kart project. Is a racekart frame and driveline with a GSX-RR 250cc motor on it. But he didn't stop there. It also now has a nice trubo on it. He has made his own plenum and pretty much everything else for it too. Was alot of work but he just builds it in his spare time. He has all the tools though. Design engineer for F&P healthcare.

My flatmate is just finishing his Go-Kart project. Is a racekart frame and driveline with a GSX-RR 250cc motor on it. But he didn't stop there. It also now has a nice trubo on it. He has made his own plenum and pretty much everything else for it too. Was alot of work but he just builds it in his spare time. He has all the tools though. Design engineer for F&P healthcare.

his name isn't steve is it?

What kind of frame is it? Just a frame someone has banshee'd together? Or a proper kart racing frame?

Kindof an inbetween.

Not one of them hardout $10000 ones,and not a whorry bike frame welded up.I got no camera or I'd put pics up.