Sign in to follow this  
OLLIE

Batteries

So it's time for me to get a new battery for the E30, these M20's need a fair bit of battery juice to get going and my battery is so exhausted it won't even start the car even after a good charge. (fingers crossed it is just the battery)

it would be good to hear what people recommend, what experiences people have had etc ....

I need a standard battery for my daily and a compact battery for the race car (roll cage is in the way), from past experience 450 CCA or thereabouts seems to be the go ....

Does your daily need one that takes ages to drain

etc?

Din 55 is the correct fitment battery for these cars. They are rated around the 450 -500 CCA depending on brand.

Being a Euro spec battery they are more expensive than the common fitment types but they fit & secure as original.

Standard type can be used but dont always have the ledge around the bottom of the case for the retaining bracket - a must for WOF purposes.

The car audio crew recommend Optima. (See nzice forums)

Optima are not great. Better than your average Flooded cell, but the power density and charge acceptance are nowhere near as good as the Odyssey.

There is a significant difference in running a bit of electronics and cranking a car with the best power to weight ration.

I'm sure. Just passing on the love.

i was looking at century/yuasa batteries earlir in the year, as i was told they were the best...

for a direct swap for an e30 was about $110 and about $150ish for the bigger one

batt 1

cant find the other one but im sure you could find it

Dont go hella.

They are crap.

I have pwned 4 of them in the last year.

All of them have had the plates collapse/erode

I got them all replaced under warranty and had the car looked at and nothing was wrong.

Optima FTW

When my old din 55 clapped out i took my car into a battety place and a din 66 slotted in there perfectly, 1990 E30 btw, i can't remember what brand but the bigger battery seemed like a no brainer for the extra $10

problem solved AA came to my house and replaced my battery for the same price it would have cost to get a century battery (one of the better brands) not delivered, they tested it etc .... great service.

the batteries the AA use are their own, they are sealed calcium batteries made in japan.

I am happy with the final result $159 later.

except for the diagnosed MYSTERY BATTERY DRAINAGE