Sign in to follow this  
BlackMDK

buying used BMW

Buying used BMW

I decided to buy a BMW so other day I checked two of them out and I’m bit confused with one issue. I usually always remove the oil cap while engine is running but I noticed that when I removed oil cap engine revs drops (this is 320 E36) on one it dropped so significantly that engine almost staled. Is this normal behavior for BMW.

Buying used BMW

I decided to buy a BMW so other day I checked two of them out and I’m bit confused with one issue. I usually always remove the oil cap while engine is running but I noticed that when I removed oil cap engine revs drops (this is 320 E36) on one it dropped so significantly that engine almost staled. Is this normal behavior for BMW.

Yes - it causes a massive vacuum leak.

Possibly one of the vacuum hoses or the crankcase ventilator valve.....not such a big deal to fix

Is it white/yellow stuff on oil cap also normal?

No not really - could be a sign of water mixing in with the oil (worst case) or simply excessive condensation from lots of cold running. It does warrant investigation however before purchase. BMW's are plentiful - unless you are on a really tight budget you can take your time looking round and getting the best one.

Edited by ducatiss