Sign in to follow this  
ducatiss

gearbox swop time

Has anyone had a garage do an auto to man swop on an E30? The garage I spoke to were thinking it might take 4 days - this seems a little excessive to me -any thoughts?

Prob not 4 days labour, but I can understand if they havn't done an e30 before that they may need the car for 4 days when they run into problems and have to get things sorted out - order a part, have something rebuilt etc.

Edited by bravo

Prob not 4 days labour, but I can understand if they havn't done an e30 before that they may need the car for 4 days when they run into problems and have to get things sorted out - order a part, have something rebuilt etc.

So can I - but they were thinking 4 days labour

10 - 15 hours of labour i was told by a BMW mech. Theres alot of variables for time consumption with doing E30 conversions apparently, thats why theres a 5 hour difference.

Edited by E30stz

Surely not? Even my first one only took a day and a half, say 12 hrs, including the pedalbox, on axle stands. They've got a hoist, I would have thought 12 to 16hrs at the most?

Assuming you have all parts, rip out the auto yourself, then pay someone on here some cash to install the manual for ya!

I think it would take me 15 hours if I had all the parts and did my usual beer-whilst-working trick. I'm pretty slow and have to f**k about with jacks and blocks - no hoist.

My generous estimate for a pro with all the tools and skills:

Remove interior console and auto shifter, remove auto brake pedal hoist up car, remove exhaust, heat sheilding, driveshaft and auto box: 1-2hrs max.

Replace motor mounts (if required), install spigot bearing, flywheel and new clutch: 30 mins. Add 30mins to machine flywheel.

Drain oil from manual box and refill, bolt box up. Replace bushes in shifter/install new shift linkage: 1hr.

Install clutch fluid reservoir, run clutch line , install slave cylinder and hook up: 30 mins

Install master cylinder and manual pedals: 30mins-1hr max.

Bleed clutch 15-30mins.

Work out and sort wiring to allow car to be started: 30 mins or so.

Reinstall interior: 15-30mins.

Replace driveshaft hanger bearing, install driveshaft, heat sheilding and exhaust: 1hr.

Test car, tidy up, and fix any problems: 1.5hrs.

Which gives 9.5 hours plus say add a few for contingency. Say 2 days?

But I'm not a mechanic, and I'd get pissed off if someone tried to tell me how long it should take to do my job. Maybe Glenn from Botany Autoworks could comment better. I'm making big assumptions about how well they know e30's, but trying to be generous at the same time.

Edit: Typed this whilst the above 3 or so posts were put up, so I guess my numbers aren't too far off.

Edited by bravo

Funny how close we all are, any more than 2 days and they're out of line I would have thought. :rolleyes:

i had some monkey mechanics down the road do my e36 325ci ( harder than e30) took them about a day and a bit , had to fit gearbox twice because i gave them wrong type of flywheel , gave them e34 525i type was too thick and was scraping back of sump then swapped it over for e30 320i type no probs then .

also included swapping e36 starter for e30 type ..

used a lighter e30 flywheel and clutch instead of dual mass e36 type ...

cost me $500 for labour ,

swapped it over for e30 320i type no probs then .

also included swapping e36 starter for e30 type ..

used a lighter e30 flywheel and clutch instead of dual mass e36 type ...

cost me $500 for labour ,

Common for the m50 swap guys to do this and use e30 gearboxes - e30 flywheel, clutch and starter.

$500 - that's bloody good!

I think it would take me 15 hours if I had all the parts and did my usual beer-whilst-working trick. I'm pretty slow and have to f**k about with jacks and blocks - no hoist.

My generous estimate for a pro with all the tools and skills:

Remove interior console and auto shifter, remove auto brake pedal hoist up car, remove exhaust, heat sheilding, driveshaft and auto box: 1-2hrs max.

Replace motor mounts (if required), install spigot bearing, flywheel and new clutch: 30 mins. Add 30mins to machine flywheel.

Drain oil from manual box and refill, bolt box up. Replace bushes in shifter/install new shift linkage: 1hr.

Install clutch fluid reservoir, run clutch line , install slave cylinder and hook up: 30 mins

Install master cylinder and manual pedals: 30mins-1hr max.

Bleed clutch 15-30mins.

Work out and sort wiring to allow car to be started: 30 mins or so.

Reinstall interior: 15-30mins.

Replace driveshaft hanger bearing, install driveshaft, heat sheilding and exhaust: 1hr.

Test car, tidy up, and fix any problems: 1.5hrs.

Which gives 9.5 hours plus say add a few for contingency. Say 2 days?

But I'm not a mechanic, and I'd get pissed off if someone tried to tell me how long it should take to do my job. Maybe Glenn from Botany Autoworks could comment better. I'm making big assumptions about how well they know e30's, but trying to be generous at the same time.

Edit: Typed this whilst the above 3 or so posts were put up, so I guess my numbers aren't too far off.

i am a aprentice mechanic and havent worked on a bmw gearbox but from what i have done i would say this time frame is an absoloute max but prety on the mark, good on ya estimation there.

Well thanks guys for all your replies - seems like the garage I spoke to were in dream land.

Well thanks guys for all your replies - seems like the garage I spoke to were in dream land.

I did one last wek, with help at home on the floor, 2 Evenings in cluding a few issues getting the box back in.

10 to 12 hours 15 if you allow for things that go wrong, Max!

Common for the m50 swap guys to do this and use e30 gearboxes - e30 flywheel, clutch and starter.

$500 - that's bloody good!

no , i used a M50 gearbox .and had to swap diff to match gearing of the 1:1 top gear

I know, but some guys do the same thing for the e30 box.