Sign in to follow this  
Frosty44

8Ω impedance... where can I find them?

I need speakers to replace the rear speakers in an e38, only thing is they have to be 8Ω to match the amp... otherwise the amp will just blow the crap out of them. But where do I find such speakers???

I've got some old 4Ω speakers the previous owner had put in (lol noob) and have wired them up in series, but this is not ideal as now I am only using 2 of the four feeds from the amp, and to top things off the speakers are slightly too large... so what size should i be getting for an old (1995) e38?

Cheers guys

Simple - just buy a 4 ohm resistor from any electrical shop - but be sure to get reasonable one that can handle the wattage otherwise it'll blow up in spectacular style - god I loved university

If you're wanting something cheap, try ringing Surplustronics at the top of Queen St. There might be a home speaker (8ohm) that can be used in car.

you what ! ?!?!?!

PEOPLE >>> DOES ANYONE CARE ABOUT SOUND QAUILTY ANYMORE!!

OR HOW TO SPELL ?

Yea I have looked into buying a subwoofer kit from bavauto before, but I'm too poor at the moment. Do you guys know if the speaker has to seal to the speaker housing to sound nice? I noticed that the stock ones are pretty much sealed in place (looked at one at a wreckers but the speakers were all blown...) because if not I might be able to get some home speakers to do it, I really don't like the speakers that are in there, they sound like sh*t even when working properly.

you what ! ?!?!?!

OR HOW TO SPELL ?

:lol:

sq derived from rear speakers, that's a bit of a novelty. They're only rear fill so as long as they sound reasonable they won't have much effect on the overall sound quality.

For a speaker to work properly, the rear airspace needs to be sealed from the front airspace. Without getting too complicated, the type and volume of the rear enclosure assists the suspension of the speaker cone.

Edited by rogan

Surplustronics is the way

8Ω house speakers is by far yor best option.

Also you can get good quality house speakers at 8Ω no problem.

Id like to see you find good quality 8Ω car speakers that are not a factory application.

what rogan said about the rears only filling out the sound is very true

If you look at a high end home theatre system all your sound normally comes from the front and the rear speakers are just small surround

ones to fill in the sound as for the bass however that can go anywhere as bass is non directional.

Edited by btccm3

:lol:

sq derived from rear speakers, that's a bit of a novelty. They're only rear fill so as long as they sound reasonable they won't have much effect on the overall sound quality.

Im sorry but thats a massive misconception "car audio experts" will tell you. The same people that will tell you Peak watts was made up by the speaker companies to make there speaks sound like they have more power. The same people that think tweaters up high and mids down low is fine for a "sound image"

What happens to the people in the back seat?

Yep, we could end up having a huge debate here about car audio, and end up going completely off topic. Yep, I would have said one of those two things 'they'say, and the other with certain conditions. Oh and the back seat in my car sounds great. Time to agree to disagree or maybe start another thread.

Ok, so I was on trademe and started thinking that it would be cheaper to just put a sub in the boot with a dedicated amp... I really just want bass because the system doesn't have ANY at the moment and it really pisses me off because I'm quite into audio, just never knew anything about car audio equipment (so thanks a lot guys).

I would probably get better performance with a sub in the boot (I think...) but do you think it would sound good, especially in the back seats (they still have the door speakers)