Sign in to follow this  
Driftit

Repco gave me the worng oil filter

Well this was on my 180sx not my bmw. But Repco highland park gave me the worng oil filter. It went on fine and was hand tight as normal. But then when I left for uni today I got to the top of the road and the oil pressure light came on and started getting some really loud knocking. Thought I had popped a hole in the block or something. Hard to do at 2000rpm though.

Switched the car off, opened the bonnet and found my oil filter just sitting there. I went back to the repco which is just down the road (in another car). A different person gave me the correct filter and it went on fine. Had to buy a whole lot of new oil too. All they did for me was a sorry and a free filter. Not even free replacement oil due to their error.

Looking the two filters up on the ryco website I find that they have different thread pitches. One metric and one imperial. Thats why it went on fine in the first place but came off later.

Do you think there will be any damage? I stopped straight away. Lucky it didn't happen on the motorway. And its the last time I ever trust someone to give me the right part. Will do it myself next time.

It really does depend on how long you drove the car after you started hearing the bad knocking, does the car still have a knock after putting new filter and oil in?

my mate ran his 1980's toyota with no oil and spun a big end with really bad top end knock aswell. (since put a new motor in)

Peace.

bummer. I had a similar thing happen to me, the Ryco filter from repco that is meant to go on E30s is really sh*t, the rubber ring seal is positioned so that it's have up against the block and half over the edge of the 'surface' where the seal is meant to be on. This split the rubber seal and the car leaked plenty of oil. Luckily i noticed it on the driveway and took the filter back, got 4 litres of oil and a refund on the filter.

Ratshit service -I would be having them on re the oil as well at least, & ask what they will do if the "knock" returns?

If they looked the same & seemed to screw on fine (without comparing thread pitch) then how were you to know it was wrong?

their terms and conditions of trade will clearly state that it is your responsibility, if they give you replacement oil etc it is good service. if there is damage to your engine don't expect anything from them.

It really does depend on how long you drove the car after you started hearing the bad knocking, does the car still have a knock after putting new filter and oil in?

my mate ran his 1980's toyota with no oil and spun a big end with really bad top end knock aswell.

Yeah. +1 for this comment.

A ahh... friend of mine (nice guy, smart) chose to ignore the dead oil pressure gauge in his Alfasud (having some time ago disconnected the allegedly faulty warning light). A run down the southern motorway with a bone-dry sump got it so hot it extruded a big end bearing out past the cap, heavily scoring the crank journal as it did so. That made a very loud knocking sound and necessitated an engine change.

If you shut down straight away though you should hopefully have avoided any serious damage.

You know what REPCO stands for don't you? Rip Every Poor Charlie (substitute for your own "C") Off