Sign in to follow this  
Cale

Broadband ISP?

Hi all,

Getting broadband finally and not sure which ISP to use.

Either:-Xtra (Explorer plan, $50, max down, 128kbps up, 6GB allowance)

-Slingshot (Extreme plan, $50, max down, 128kbps up, 6GB allowance)

Wondering who will give me best speeds and service?

[edit] Sorry admin, might want to move this to off-topic

Edited by Quail

Take a look at Orcon aswell. Flying the flag because my g/f works there, but they have some good deals too if your usage habits fit one of their plans.

Apparrently slingshots service and support is arse - second only to Woosh. Hearsay of course as I get my internet through Igrin.

Edited by bravo

Slingshots service isnt that bad, no worse than ihug or telecom

im on a similar plan with slingshot except its 60 bucks and 25gb limit!!

during peak you get about 1.5mb dwn and 3-4mb in the wee hours, altough every now and again the arse drops out completely

fast enuff during peak to run 3 computers steaming you tube + playin on web (set up a house network last week!)

I'm on Orcon. Their service is great. Product equally as good.

Main problem I've had with broadband is my router. DON'T BUY A DLINK [DYNALINK]! Every week I find myself resetting the bastard, having to reconfig everything etc etc.

When we went with orcon, we got that free modem, sold it for $60, so it went towards a new router.

I'm with Xnet. Have a look at them - the advantage is that you pay for what you use, instead of the others where you pay a fixed rate regardless of whether you use up that bandwidth or not. That was the reason I switched from Orcon - I'd been with Orcon for years.

Customer service is also great, they pick up the phone immediately, I have not had to wait so far. If you want to join Xnet let me know, I can get some sort of recommendation bonus :D

www.xnet.co.nz

^^ Xnet is especially recommended for gamers.

Yea i had xnet for the flat last year. they were good. We were running 3 comps no troblue and using 100gb+ a month and only paying $50 (unlinited national traffic). It was awesome.

I'm on Orcon. Their service is great. Product equally as good.

Main problem I've had with broadband is my router. DON'T BUY A DLINK [DYNALINK]! Every week I find myself resetting the bastard, having to reconfig everything etc etc.

That's why Orcon actually recommend you pay for their Siemens routers. They only stock the D-links for people that kick up a fuss at the cost of the Siemens one and say they can get a free modem from XYZ broadband provider. So Orcon matches the deal, but you get a d-link not a Siemens.

I have a linksys at home - only had a problem once - think it was caused by powercuts and had to reset it and reload settings. Otherwise its very good.

Stay away from both Xtra and Slingshot - especially if you want to play games as their response times can exceed 2 seconds on a regular basis.

Orcon and Xnet are your best options (since you're in Auckland). Both have the best service and are good for gaming. Be be sure to read their ISP subscription policies.

I suggest you go look at www.geekzone.co.nz for some more qualified discussions on the topic.

E: Ah, we use LinkSys (Cisco) Gigabit switches and routers (1 wired and 1 wireless), they are good and never had issues.

Edited by Carl

Stay away from both Xtra and Slingshot - especially if you want to play games as their response times can exceed 2 seconds on a regular basis.

Todays nzherald confirms.

Edited by bravo