Sign in to follow this  
ACS E46

Calling all E46 Technicians. . . . .

Hi people,

I have a 320i E46 that looks nice enough, for me anyway. Only problem (as most of you out there with 320's know) is that they ain't that great on power. :(

I have a chance to buy a M54 3.0l engine for around $1,500. (done around 50,000kms, good cond).

So, here are my questions:

1. Is this a reasonable price for one of these?

2. Is it gonna bolt straight in and if not, what would I need?

3. How much is labour gonna cost me?

4. Has anyone had an experience such as this before and how did it go?

I was tempted to buy a 330i when i get the funds, but it would be way too long before I did. I got a really good deal on my 320i, so I thought its well worth keeping it.

Any suggestions or info that can point me in the right direction would be super.

Cheers,

Dan

You will need a engine ECU and gearbox ECU. Im not 100% sure the gearbox will work with the engine ECU straight off, you will need to look into weather they are different or not. Glenn from botany motor werks would be able to tell you, or atleast find out some what. Also things to consider, the 330i subframe/mounts is different to a 325/320 one. They are alot stronger. Other things to consider is brakes. 330i rotors / calipers are larger.

One thing you have to remember with things on the e46 is they are a sensor / loom mine field.

Ray from Hell BM (see forums sponsor) had an m54b30 out of a coupe with auto gearbox and ECU's / loom about 2 weeks ago ... a place to check (also was wrecking a 330ci ;) )

My new SuperSprint stainless exhaust was enough hassle changing from stock, getting the factory O2 sensors up and running again :)

This cannot be done at any reasonable cost. After 1998 all cars ECU's are specific and run a different Canbus system. It is cheaper to buy a 330 and keep the 320 as well. The build date for even an engine swap can be month specific. We have looked at this before. You could run a 330 motor in a E30 or E36 if it was manual and run a aftermarket ECU so long as it would run twin Vanos or convert with Shrick cams and run no Vanos.

You would need very deep pockets to do anything like this with any BMW after 1998.

Someones probably done it in the states...... but at what cost.

If you want more HP....buy cubic inches... its cheaper. It would cost more money to convert an E46 320I into an E46 330I than just going out and buying a nice one.

Hope this helps

Any questions... just give me a call

Cheers

Glenn

Thanks for directing me to Botany M.W, Hybrid. Glenn was especially helpful and knows his stuff. I would recommend anyone that wants to get any work done, to talk to him first. I'm glad I asked around and asked him before I went down a long and painfull road.

Guess I have to start saving for a 330i now... Anyone wana buy a 320i? :P

Dan