Sign in to follow this  
dubbed5series

giving the e39 more power

Hey there. I have an e39 520i and was wanting to put something turbo in it and a manual box. My mates have been telling me to put an rb30det in it and a skyline box. But i figured this would be a fair amount of work. So i was wondering if i could put a e36 328i engine in it with a manual box and turbo that? As there are a few turbo kits for the e36 engines floating around the place. Would this conversion be alot easier to do by keeping everything bmw?

buy a 540? Unless you are DIYing it all - you will spend hheeappss. Anything is possible.

Welcome to the site.

most turbo "kits" dont fit right hand drive cars, as they the steering colum gets in the way

I was planning on building the motor myself and paying to get the mounts and wiring done by someone. And i would rather go down the turbo root than a 540i as its more my thing and i would prefer to do something different. But ill just keep looking into more options then

did you see the performance car mag with the guy that put a rb26dett in an e36? theres an idea

Yea i was thinking rb30det, ive got a few mates who are trying to talk me into putting a 20b in it. Im just gona get visual things duno 1st as i just blew the box up in it, so its in getting that rebuilt atm. Thank god for mechanical insurance. But i think an m3 motor and box would be a bit out of my wallets range lol

Edited by dubbed5series

Yea i was thinking rb30det, ive got a few mates who are trying to talk me into putting a 20b in it. Im just gona get visual things duno 1st as i just blew the box up in it, so its in getting that rebuilt atm. Thank god for mechanical insurance. But i think an m3 motor and box would be a bit out of my wallets range lol

If doing an M3 engine and box swap will be out of your price range then turbo'ing a 328 engine will be too.

RB30/25DET hybrid would be the cheapest option, easiest way to build a 400hp engine for less than a grand.