Sign in to follow this  
stolen

Hooking up a SUB.....

Hello

The car is a 06 mitsi lancer.

I want to hook up a small 10 inch sub to the factory headunit. I dont want to run cables from the battery to the boot. I do have a cig adapter in the boot. Was wondering whether there was any problem in using that and what sort of cable set-up should i use to run things properly?

Thanks

You will have to run RCA's and a REM from the headunit (guessing it has RCA and REM out's) You may as well do it properly and run a + cable from the battery. Using the cigerette lighter will only cause problems as it will only be fused to cope with the lighter and not an amp.

Do it properly, it will save you problems in the future.

Cheers

Chris

if running the cables scares you a bit.

id be happy to for say 60 cash that is if your in auckland though.

Thats one thing i love bout euros, the battery is in the boot :).

Argh, stay away from the cig lighter, its not too big a job to run a wire from the battery + you will need to run an RCA cable anyways so you'll have to run that down the car anyways.

Let us know how you get on.

Laurence.

Hi guys

I wanted to stay away from the cable from the battery cos its a company car, not because it scares me.

Just wanted a small sub in the back to boost the sounds a bit.

Since it looks like I HAVE to run the cable, im back to the dilemma of should i or shouldn't I...

Thanks for the replies guys. Much appreciated.

If your boss is a good c**t tell him/her. Just say you want to hook up an extra speaker but won't damage the vehicle in any way - they'll probably have no idea you're running power cables and so forth.

If not, run the wiring and maybe make up a distribution block in the boot and tap into it form there. Use black wire from the battery and say it's factory.

Finally be aware that 1) your gear won't be covered by insurance and 2) if you have a sh*t of an insurance co and they decide not to pay out due to non-disclosure then you're f**ked.

Edited by bravo

If your boss is a good c**t tell him/her. Just say you want to hook up an extra speaker but won't damage the vehicle in any way - they'll probably have no idea you're running power cables and so forth.

If not, run the wiring and maybe make up a distribution block in the boot and tap into it form there. Use black wire from the battery and say it's factory.

Finally be aware that 1) your gear won't be covered by insurance and 2) if you have a sh*t of an insurance co and they decide not to pay out due to non-disclosure then you're f**ked.

Yeah i dont think anyone will give 2 cents. I just had it in my head that the time i spend running cable from the battery would be a waste since its not really my car.

We dont have insurance, apparently its cheaper to be self insured if you have a large number of cars. I found this out recently when i cracked my windscreen, just ended up putting the bill on my expense card.

Yeah im not too fussed about the sounds being covered by insurance as the plan is on a cheapy anyway.

Thanks.

So what happens when you have an at fault accident, cause damage to vehicle/property and get done for Liability, fixing company car & any other bills like road clearing costs, salvage etc??? Are you not covered at all..... "cringe"

Maybe it's me?? because I work in insurance and see vehicle claims of $1,000's every day. You shoud have some sort of cover bro! better to pay a little for insurance than pay a lot for an accident.

Laurence.