Sign in to follow this  
equipdbmw

E36 32i auto transmission help

hey guys! need your help. my 328i has some transmission issues. its an auto. when the engine is cold, there is a jerk when it shifts from 1st to 2nd... and after say about 20 mins when engine is fully warm.. the jerk dissapperas and it revert back to smoothas shift.

do you know what could be wrong? can its just be transmission oil that needs replacing??? or something serious

Take it into BMW and get it on the update computer ... It could just require a software update to the GCU.

There are many reasons for this happening, fluid levels, fluid pressure issues or engagement piston issues.

Just going through all this sh*t myself with the gearbox shop and BMW with the e46. Fun times....

Another member with the "Jatco Jerk".... join the club haha!

I'm assuming your car is a Jap import?

Another thread here that talks about the problem

Yeah, mine does it too, I find if you apply the right pressure to the accelerator, it wont do it.

Mine does another weird thing - when I am going along a straight, it is in about, idk, whatever gear and when coming to go down a hill, it feels like there is a heavy force holding the car back like it forgets to change down to first or something, anyones do this also? It is a Jatco auto as well.

hey i have the same problem but i have a e36 318 diff 4.30 ratio instead of the 320i 4.10 ratio, and i have found the same problem as all of u how ever i found that it i put the car into snow mode till it heats up its fine and once its hot then i put it into eco and it sweet after that.