Sign in to follow this  
bravo

OT: Credit Check

I need to run a credit check on a prospective tenant for a commercial property I own. Normally I wouldn't bother, but this tenant doesn't appear to have any real assets that I can put a lien on in lieu of a breach of lease, so want a bit of peace of mind before I let them sign.

Anyone know who does them?

Cheers

Hey Mate, I run a finance comapany here in Palmy.

We credit check all of our clients on vedaadvantage.com. But keep in mind you need to get them to sign a privacy act form saying you are acting on there behalf doing a credit check-by law you HAVE to do this.

Alternitvly they can do one on themselves on mycreditfile.co.nz and give it to you-then you don't need the privacy act signed.

Hope that helps, any questions i should be able to answer them.

Thanks. baycorp don't provide credit reports anymore - I use them for chasing bad debts, but they no longer provide the report.

Will get in touch with vedaadvantage. Thanks.

How old are you? How you manage to own a commercial property?!

25 - the bank owns most of it :D And I own it in syndicate with two others.

25 - the bank owns most of it :D And I own it in syndicate with two others.

Brilliant idea! As long as the rent covers some of the mortage and the interest repayments, how can you go wrong?

You're probably wasting your time in regards to a credit check if they have no real assets, as you can't chase anything. Can you get a guarantee from parents/relatives/business associates? Have you had a look on the companies office to see if they have been involved in any previously failed or struck off companies? Increase the deposit, 6 months? Bank guarantee? Statement of position from accountant? There are plenty of ways to sort this without much bother.

Thanks Palazzo. The credit check is to make sure they havn't been in trouble before. If they have, then I won't touch them. If they havn't then will see about guarantees. Being a commercial premises the lease will be in the name of their company, with them listed as personal guarantors, but obviously if their personal guantee isn't worth sh*t, then its pointless.

Having never been involved with rental properties, is it worth having a look at their current setup, and why they are moving? Tidy and ordered setup being better than a mess for the first part, and things like accessibility/ expansion for the second? Just another way of checking what they're like I guess, as well as talking with them... bear in mind also that a struck off company doesn't necessarily mean much, bar that it's ceased trading- there are a whole heap of reasons why a company gets struck off, some being legit, others dodgy... just sayin'. :D

Edited by Sick Puppy