Sign in to follow this  
QuickSilver

HELP! Car overheating!!!! URGENT!

Hey guys if you read this and have any idea PLEASE let me know as I urgently need my car, just now my car over heated, steam and all, I caught it early and turned it off and the steam stopped straight away, however once it had cooled down a bit I took a look at the water and it was nearly totally empty! WTF?! Fill it up, add coolant and its still doing it, I can hear it boiling after, (I stop before it gets too hot) the temp gauge rises over half way and thats enough for me as it NEVER does that,

Now, yesterday I replaced the valve cover gasket, could this in any way be causing the overheating?? Did I do anything by taking of my rocker cover? I am in serious crap if I cant use my car tomorrow, anyone got any ideas???

Thanks,

Alex.

Edited by QuickSilver

Where is it leaking from?

Find the leak, and should solve the problem.

Be hard to fix over night if you require parts too, may be time for new;

WaterPump,

Thermostat, O Ring,

Hoses,

Radiator....

Where is it leaking from?

Find the leak, and should solve the problem.

Be hard to fix over night if you require parts too, may be time for new;

WaterPump,

Thermostat, O Ring,

Hoses,

Radiator....

not sure if its leaking, could all the water have boiled out or will there definately be a leak?? what am I looking at worst case scenario in $$$ ?

Sounds like a leak, check all the hoses, including heater hoses. Is the floor on the passengers side damp by any chance? Is your oil clean, no cloudiness at all?

ill go up and check oil again right now but it looked good last night when the cover was off, i'll also check the floor

a point to note, I was driving around all day today, no problems what so ever, also I left it for an hour to cool, tried it again, and there seems to be a small leak, but I cant judge if thats from water dripping thats left in the engine bay etc, or if its a very slow leak, as the water level didnt drop enough for me to notice in the reservoir/tank whatever u call it... does this sound like water pump failure? water pump would show signs of dying wouldnt it? also its never once over heated... until today, after I had the valve cover off...

Cheers.

You need to see if it is a small leak. If it's a small leak when it's cold, it will be pissing out when it's hot!

no dampness in the passengers seat... oil is amber to brown its in need of an oil change which i was planning to do this week, the leak is weird... it seems to come out of the chassis rail just behind the front right wheel... it is definately coming out but it stopped after about 2 minutes of me looking at it, so I turned the car back on and it slowly came back.. (I think) I could be trying to be hopeful here and imagining it.. what hose if any would it be from what ive said?

sounds like the rad hose at the front by the chassis rail.

It could be spraying into the body work!

hmm that could be, its not hugely leaking and at idle its the same.. however could it be hugely different under pressure while driving??? like what silver fox said it mite be huge under pressure or hot... it let it heat up at idle and it didnt leak much more than cold but id imagine while driving it would increase?

you said the passenger seat, im guessing you meant under the passengers side floor mat? thats what happened on my car, however things were no way near as bad as you! i did a water pump and radiator too.

water pump is about 200???

radiator 400 and you can get the same one on trade me as i got from a1 radiators in chch

My problem was the heating system leaking, have you checked your heater core is leaking? look under gearbox, or take out and get it pressure checked its free.

you will need to bypass the heater using a 90 degree bend from a hardware store if you still wish to drive without the heater

Edited by Chris C

Ahhhh if its coming out by the chassis rail behind the right front wheel, wont it be leaking out of the heater system overflow thing by the battery guys??

Yea I meant floor sorry, all dry there, fark it could be just about anything, but if it was the heater overflow, it would be only coming out once the water was boiling and over flowing wouldnt it??? And it was coming out even when the car was cold(er) and not boiling...

Any other ideas?? Thanks alot btw!

Yea I meant floor sorry, all dry there, fark it could be just about anything, but if it was the heater overflow, it would be only coming out once the water was boiling and over flowing wouldnt it??? And it was coming out even when the car was cold(er) and not boiling...

Any other ideas?? Thanks alot btw!

take out theromstat , they often jam shut and dont let water flow , then it just boils .

water leak from rhs chasis is probably from overflow outlet .

always refill and run with heater on , and relase pressure from bleed valve on and off.

this sounds alot like whats happening cos I can hear it boiling and not going anywhere... thanks Brent ill try this first thing in the morning!

if you cant locate the leak,remove thermostate from the housing.that way it wont get hot and it keeps the water pressure down.cheap,short term fix

Thanks everyone, I got it sorted, Brent you hit the nail on the head, it was the thermostat no opening, the hose leading into the thermostat was boiling, and the hose exiting was cold lol, all running good again,

Thanks all!

Mine did the same, water steaming and overheating. my radiator, hoses and thermostat were all checked to b fine.. yet the problem continues

Thanks everyone, I got it sorted, Brent you hit the nail on the head, it was the thermostat no opening, the hose leading into the thermostat was boiling, and the hose exiting was cold lol, all running good again,

Thanks all!

your welcome .

have had a bit of experince with this .

only cost you a beer :beer: