Sign in to follow this  
blobby

stock e34 stereo nz new

I've got a dead mid driver in teh front, and the yanks inform me I probably have a dead channel in the factor amp. However as the car is nz new and had a factory alpine head I somewhat doubt there is an amp in there. Anyone swaped speakers on one of these before? front components mids in the kick pannels and tweeters in the dash.

Cheers.

Sounds like you have the premium stereo if you have the 6 speakers in the front so you should have an amp. It will be in the boot on the passenger side behind the trim mounted on a flat bracket.

If it does have a dead channel I think your options are pretty limited. You could replace the factory amp with a second hand one or replace the head unit and run the speakers off the head unit or install your own amp and run them off that. Either way you won't be able to use all the factory speakers as they are and to be honest I think the factory speakers are pretty crap, especially the rears, which are mounted to the parcel tray with tiny cup like enclosures.

You can put 6inch components in the front using the kick panels and either the factory mid location or the tweeter location. But if you use the factory amp you'll miss out on the mid range.....

Hope that helps (actually, I just hope you can understand that!)

P.S If you don't have a factory amp then ignore all the above and, hell, I have no idea what you should do.

You may find the amp under the drivers seat, its not very big but thats where mine was....also 1990 NZ new 525i....

cheers, will go looking on the weekend. I've already swaped the head and have a few amps sitting round from this and that, so It could be time for a little TLC for the road sounds again.

Boy do I hate taking trim on and off..... ;)

get rid of that little ass amp and slap a nice sized one in there, homys factory speakers are loving the extra watts they are being supplied.. better to over power than under power (clipping anyone?)

Just a question. does anyone know if there is and where the factory compact 10spkr optional upgrade amp lies ?? :puke:

i can hopefully find out on friday IF it finally arrives ..!!!