Sign in to follow this  
jimbo01

Power Steering Oil Leak in a E38

The AA report for my 740 identified a power steering oil leak, which was supposed to have been fixed by replacing some clips, which the owner has receipts for. It was a private sale.

When i painted my calipers red I cleaned all the old oil that i could see assuming it had leaked prior to being fixed. Today i have to change my fromt tyre as the sidewall was split (aarrggghhh) and noticed fresh oil in the same place on some subframe under the engine (2nd arrrggghhh)

So is this expensive to have fixed properly? What should i check?

E65's had a factory fault with a bolt on the power steering causing the fluid to leak, and sometimes all come out at once.... perhaps it is similar? Ask bmw- E38's are the most common car they fix!

Its probably one of the hoses. Take the stone tray off, clean all the hoses off, road test and check which hose is leaking. Could also be the cooler hose "O" rings where they go into the cooler.

Its probably one of the hoses. Take the stone tray off, clean all the hoses off, road test and check which hose is leaking. Could also be the cooler hose "O" rings where they go into the cooler.

Thankyou - will look at this this coming weekend (if I'm not skiing).

A good way to check the hoses is to park the car up and get someone to turn the steering wheel whilst you check the hoses with the bonnet up. Your unlikely to see any holes in the pipes (unless they are really knackered) but you should be able to see the oil leaking out.

In my case it was shooting out of the pipe, over the heatshield and onto exhaust. HUGE clouds of white smoke from the 750 everytime I stopped and straigthened the wheels !

A good way to check the hoses is to park the car up and get someone to turn the steering wheel whilst you check the hoses with the bonnet up. Your unlikely to see any holes in the pipes (unless they are really knackered) but you should be able to see the oil leaking out.

In my case it was shooting out of the pipe, over the heatshield and onto exhaust. HUGE clouds of white smoke from the 750 everytime I stopped and straigthened the wheels !

Wellington Star replaced the hose clips and no more oil leak (cost buggar all to do too).